< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: The Economics Of Starvation

by alexy2k gerard

17 April 2000 03:26 UTC

Alan Wrote

The Eritrean leadership and the
>TPLF leadership that runs Ethiopia today were closer than brothers for
>years.

Are you sure about that?  If so, would you care to enlighten us on the
nature of that more than brotherhood?

And then perhaps  I could  document and tell the members of this list about
the nature of that relationship.  I have a very different understanding of
the history of that relationship if anyone cares to know.

>Alan  also writes:
>And keep in mind that news reporters are not necessarily "objective"
>analysts of every situation.

I have never known the AFP to be biased in favor of Eritrea and they are
quoting diplomats and World Bank employees.  If anything, the Western media
had done it's best to frustrate the struggle of the people of eritrea for
self determination and yes it was a struggle for self determination.  And
there are nationalisms and nationalisms and nationalisms...  I would not
lump all nationalisms in one basket!
And I'm not an apologist for the Eritrean government or anyone but at the
same time I cannot tolerate lazy and sweeping misrepresentations.
I gave you evidence of the Eritrean government's/ peoples superior,
efficient,  hard work to become food self-sufficient and not to tolerate
starvation of its people.  You conveniently ignored that and instead
questioned the objectivity of the source.  I hate to disappoint you Alan
but
it is true that things work in eritrea.  And that is why, the West cannot
tolerate these "black" people.  They don't fit the patronizing image the
West has for Africa and Africans.  They are a dangerous example of relative
self-reliance that need to be disciplined.  And the so called border war
and
the tacit support for Ethiopia from the WEST/U.S. is part of the effort to
break and interrupt this experiment.

Alexy