< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Fw: Annan blames Ethiopia...

by Spectors

10 April 2000 13:00 UTC

The "stand" I take is for the working classes of Africa to rid themselves of
the neo-colonialists as well as the local capitalists -- in other words, to
confront and dismantle all forms of capitalism. Specifically, that means
that all oppressed people should work to end these wars by opposing their
own government. I don't recognize the "right" of a capitalist Eritrea (which
is oppressing many Eritreans) to exist, just as I don't recognize the
"right" of capitalist Ethiopia (or capitalist Britain or U.S., for that
matter) to exist. So I don't support the "right" of the Oromo leadership
(some in close alliance with Geman imperialists, by the way) to establish an
independent, capitalist state to enhance their oppression of the Oromo
people, and I don't support the "right" of the Eritrean leadership to
establish an independent capitalist state to enhance their oppression of the
Eritrean people although of course all imperialist intervention must be
opposed. "Self-determination" from Algeria to the Congo has not eliminated
the horrors of capitalism.

I realize that this might sound like "traditional dogmatic marxism" but my
opinions are not based on reading of the sacred texts of St. Marx and St.
Lenin. It is based on looking at the long, murderous record of capitalism,
where its record of devastation and death is especially apparent in Africa.
So I do applaud your efforts to condemn the Ethiopian regime for carrying
out this war. By the way, the issue of political prisoners in Ethiopia is
especially important; tens of thousands of opponents, most NOT connected
with Mengistu's "Dergue" regime, languish in prison while teenagers are paid
to tote guns around terrorizing anyone who disagrees with the current
TPLF-led government, and famine again threatens millions.