< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Fw: Annan blames Ethiopia...

by alexy2k gerard

10 April 2000 02:56 UTC

>Ethiopia is undoubtedly run by gangsters. So is Eritrea.  In fact these
>gangsters were in a very, very close alliance. Both regimes have many
>political prisoners. Both have resorted to assassination against critics.

hello Alan:

I do not dispute the  point that you made above.  However, you cannot use
it
for avoiding to take a stand on issue in question which is the devastating
war and the impending famine.  I have followed it closely and I assure you
that the gangsters in Ethiopia are the intransigent ones as their ambition
is to reverse Eritrean independence and dominate the region.  This same
gangsters are also perpetrating untold crimes against the long suffering
Oromo people.  For a little background, please read the following peice.

Alexy

Why Ethiopia Doesn’t Want Peace

Okbazghi Yohannes April 6, 2000

I must admit that, after thinking long and hard, I have reached the
unsavory
conclusion that the conflict and the consequent war between Eritrea and
Ethiopia over Badame is a superficial representation of something larger
that has to do with the mind-set of the Ethiopians in general and the
Tigrayan-controlled regime in particular. Before elaborating on this point,
I would like to bring two cardinal questions to the attention of the
reader.

First, the fact that the Eritrean Government has unequivocally accepted the
Algiers peace plan must be acknowledged in contrast to the intransigence of
the Ethiopian regime on the matter.  The ball is now in Ethiopia’s court.
Therefore, the international community has an obligation to bring sustained
pressure to bear on the Ethiopian regime to quit dragging its feet and come
to the peace table.

The second question involves the gross international misperception
surrounding the nature and genesis of the conflict.  Precisely because they
ask the wrong questions, many journalists and even scholars have difficulty
understanding how two former stalwart allies could fight over a desolate
piece of land.  Without a proper diagnosis of the problem, no one can
squarely face the challenge of peace in the area.

I sincerely believe that the Ethio-Eritrean confrontation over Badame is a
sheer pretext on Ethiopia’s side for a larger ambition.  In 1992, long
before the eruption of hostility between the two countries, the British
human rights activist and keen watcher of African politics, Alex Dewal, had
actually foreseen a serious problem looming in what he termed “Abyssinian
fundamentalism”.  The Amhara and Tigrayans of Ethiopia traditionally
referred to as Abyssinians to distinguish them from the rest of Ethiopians,
have the antiquated notion of land and sovereignty.  Their geographic
definition of Ethiopia runs counter to the modern conception of territorial
delimitations and the principle of self-determination.

 It was this fundamentalist orientation that fueled Ethiopia’s thirty years
war on Eritrea, claiming that Eritrea was historically part of Ethiopia.
Still imbued with the same delusional perspective, the Amhara and Tigrayans
had been having difficulty accepting Eritrea’s independence.  Given this
mind-set, it was only a matter of time before the Ethiopian regime embarked
on a belligerent policy against Eritrea.

The Adwa syndrome is the logical frame of reference for Abyssinian
fundamentalists as the Amhara and Tigrayans have been socialized into
internalizing the doctrine of Ethiopia’s almost boundless territorial reach
and self-invincibility.  The unavoidable consequence of this syndrome is
the
belief that only a military solution is the viable option.  It is no
coincidence that the Ethiopian regime today draws a bogus parallel between
Ethiopia’s victory at Adwa in 1896 against the Italians and its seizure of
very tiny piece of land around Badame a year ago.  Under the battlecry:
“Adwa victory repeated at Badame,” the regime temporarily succeeded in
calling Ethiopians to the streets of Addis Ababa in its attempt to create
an
unbridgeable gulf between the peoples of the two countries.

Although the Amhara and the Tigrayans share the belief in “greater Ethiopia
ideology,” watered by Abyssinian fundamentalism and the Adwa syndrome,
there
is an additional complicating factor, having to do with the emergence of a
bellicose Tigrayan nationalism, one that seeks to establish Tigrayan
dominance in Ethiopian politics.  We need to recall that until the
mid-eighties the Tigray People’s Liberation Front was wholly committed to
creating an independent Tigrayan state.

However, it soon dawned on the TPLF leadership that Tigray, poorly endowed
with natural resources and surrounded by Eritrea on the north and southeast
on the one hand, and by the Amhara of Ethiopia on the south and west on the
other, could not and would not exist as a viable state.  So the TPLF
leadership reversed gears and embraced the “greater Ethiopia ideology” as a
means of realizing their “greater” Tigray ambition.  In order to achieve
this desiratum, the TPLF judiciously sought the simultaneous cooptation of
Eritrean partnership and containment of the Oromo Liberation Front, the
object being effective displacement of the Amhara and establishment of
Tigrayan dominance.  This strategy was responsible for the TPLF coming to
power in Addis Ababa in May 1991.

Knowing full well that the TPLF, representing just 6% of Ethiopia’s 60
million people, could not rule Ethiopia without enforcing horizontal ethnic
fragmentation, the leadership devised ethnic federalism as a stratagem to
anchor “greater” Tigray within the political framework of “greater
Ethiopia.”  The stratagem allowed the Tigrayans to snatch territories
originally belonging to the Amhara provinces of Wello and Gondar under the
pretext of ethnic identity.  However, the territorial reorganization of
“greater” Tigray placed the TPLF leadership in a quandary regarding the
question of how to incorporate territories that are within the confines of
independent Eritrea.

In addition, the notion of “ethnic federalism” and the TPLF’s involuntary
acquiescence in Eritrean independence in exchange for EPLF support soon
created a legitimacy crisis for the Tigrayan leadership since the now
alienated Amhara conveniently accused the Tigrayans of betraying one of the
fundamentals of Abyssinian nationalism, namely the territorial
indivisibility of Ethiopia, by allowing Eritrean independence to take
place.

As part of the effort to deal with the legitimacy crisis confronting the
regime in Addis Ababa, the Tigrayan leadership promptly crafted two
complimentary strategies.  The first is a minimalist strategy designed to
strengthen the position of “greater” Tigray within “greater” Ethiopia by
securing an access to the sea through the annexation of Assab, in the
southeastern region of Eritrea.  The second is the maximalist strategy,
bent
on enlarging the territorial reach of “greater” Tigray through the
reabsorption of the whole of Eritrea while at the same time regaining the
entire Red Sea regions of Eritrea for Ethiopia.  In effect, the maximalist
strategy would undo Eritrea’s independence.  Apart from denying their
Amhara
rivals reason for opposing the Ethiopian regime, the strategy, if realized,
would allow the Tigrayan leadership to solidify their grip on power.
Herein
lies the origin of the war between Eritrea and Ethiopia.

Badame is simply a small outlet for the realization of the larger Tigrayan
ambition.  The Tigrayan leadership could have invented any other incident
begin a provocation or confrontation with Eritrea.  Thus, in truth, the
fundamental obstacles on the road to peace today are the general Ethiopian
mind-set and the virulent nationalism of the Tigrayans.  This is something
most analysts, scholars and statesmen have failed to understand.

There are also two additional factors that are reinforcing Ethiopia’s
intransigence.  First in the past one hundred years, Ethiopia has benefited
from the services of a galaxy of expatriates, who overtime developed
special
bonds with Ethiopia and the charming elite of the country.  Most of these
expatriates have today become the unofficial mouthpiece, propagandists and
defenders of the Ethiopian cause. Some of them are in academia, others are
in government, and still others are in private policy-making organizations.

These international propagandists in the Ethiopian cause are the
Pankhursts,
the Levines, the Erlichs, the Marcuses, the Gilkes, the Claphams, the
Heinzes, and Smiths of this world.  Because of their expatriate identity
and
their connection to the world of knowledge and politics, and the media,
these individuals have been able to effectively orchestrate and legitimize
the Ethiopian regime’s dangerously misleading diplomatic maneuvers, thereby
obscuring the real cause of the Ethio-Eritrean conflict.

They have thus far succeeded in effectively scuttling from the
international
radar screen the humanitarian dimensions of the conflict, particularly the
plight of the over 70,000 Eritreans and Ethiopian nationals of Eritrean
origin, deported by the TPLF-led regime after confiscating their hundreds
of
millions of dollars worth of property.

Even as recently as February 17th, 2000, neither President Clinton nor
Secretary Albright made a reference to the humanitarian tragedy besetting
these deportees in their speeches before the National Summit on Africa.
Even the more starkly bizarre thing was the fact that Gail Smith, the
Clinton Administration’s Senior Director for Africa and Ethiopia’s
mouthpiece within the Administration, never said a word on the ethnic
cleansing taking place in Ethiopia despite the fact that the topic of her
speech before the National Summit was “Democracy and Human Rights in
Africa.”  It is such callous indifference to the human tragedy that has
given the Ethiopian regime a false sense of confidence that it can prevail
over the Eritreans in international diplomacy.  This has certainly
reinforced the belligerently intransigent position of the Tigrayan
leadership, making them blind to the larger picture regarding the
horrendous
consequences of the war.

The second factor reinforcing Ethiopia’s intransigence is the myopic belief
of the Tigrayans that they could militarily prevail over Eritrea because of
Ethiopia’s superior endowment in terms of both population and natural
resources.  The belief is, however, delusional.  The truth is that the
ratio
in the demographic and resource distributions has not changed for in the
past thirty years, the ratio in the demographic and economic distributions
between Eritrea and Ethiopia was one-to-eighteen, and the same ratio holds
today.  The previous Ethiopian regime had collected $11 billion worth of
military gadgets, and yet it could not prevail over the Eritrean struggle.

After all, nations are judged not by how many resources they have but by
how
they manage their resources in the furtherance of the common good, the
welfare of their citizens, and of human understanding and cooperation.  We
Eritreans may be poor in material resources and small in number; but we are
richly endowed with the valor, ingenuity, imagination, and resourcefulness
of our people.  That made all the difference in the past, and will surely
continue to make the difference in the future.