< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

jobs

by christopher chase-dunn

24 March 2000 18:44 UTC

Department of Sociology, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

Part-time Lecturing Positions 2000

Applications are invited for two part-time lecturing positions offered
in the Second  Semester in Sociology in 2000:

315.210SC Sociology of Colonialism

Lectures  Tuesday  12.00pm - 1.00pm
Thursday  2.00pm - 4.00pm

Prescription This paper will examine the colonial structures of control
and counter-colonial strategies of resistance in a comparative context.
We will investigate differences and similarities in colonial formations
as well as study the ideologies and practices employed to resist and
dismantle the colonial situation.

Assessment Three 1,250 word essays (20% each) for 60% coursework and 40%

final examination.

315.313SC Sociology of Contemporary Asia

Lectures Thursday  10.00am  - 12.00pm
Friday  11.00am  - 12.00pm

Prescription One of the most enduring dichotomies in the modern social
sciences has been the distinction between the ‘West’ and the ’ East’.
>From the Greeks who contrasted their ‘democracy’ with the ‘despotism’
of
the Orient to more recent debates on the superiority of ‘Asian’ values
which privilege ‘collective’ rights over Western values which emphasise
‘individual’ rights, cultural stereotypes have dominated encounters
between peoples of the two regions. We will examine, therefore, how
knowledge has been produced by a dominant group about a subordinate
other. Since the relation between knowledge and power is influenced by
shifts in political and economic relations, we will also study how these

changes have transformed Western stereotypes of ‘Asians’ from a ‘dirty’,

backward, and less ‘civilized’ people to a ‘model minority’.

Assessment EITHER two 1,000 word assignments (15%) each plus a 2,000
word research paper (30%) OR four 1,000 word assignments (15%) each for
60% coursework and 40% final examination.

The appointment will be made at the lecturer level, depending on the
experience and qualifications. Salary is worked out as a fraction of
University rates for Assistant Lecturers at $20,516.

If you are interested in applying for the above positions, please send
the following information (to reach me no later than Wednesday  5 April
2000).

• A letter that indicates which qualifications and experience make you
suitable for this position.
• A course outline, indicating in some detail which broad topics would
be covered, in which order, and using which major references.
• A full and up-to-date curriculum vitae.

Professor Maureen Baker
Head of Department
Department of Sociology
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
AUCKLAND                        17 March 2000