< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

re: On Ginis and 1947-1998 US Ginis

by g kohler

22 March 2000 18:16 UTC

Chupiaika, Emilio! Your Ginis look magnificent. I looked at your graph for
the US (using Excel). It is truly amazing what the graph says about the
development of inequality in the US since World War II. You can even see
various political eras in the line shown there--
1947-64 _____  inequality fluctuates around gini = .47 (approximately)
1965-74 _____  inequality is slightly less around gini = .45 (approx)
1975-93 _____  inequality surges to unprecedented heights, from .45 to gini
= .54
1993-98 _____  inequality stays in a high range, with 1998 the same as 1993
(=.54)
The graph seems to capture very well what people have been experiencing.

Another point -- you find that US national income (100%) is composed of
wages and state social aid = 30% and surplus value 70% . This rate of
surplus value is even higher than what Moseley reports in his study (he had
less than 70% for surplus value, I don't have the exact figure handy). Could
you please comment on your method? What is special about it? I know you are
in the business of demolishing Leontieff and a few others. But can you
please explain a bit more?

muchas gracias
Gert Kohler
Oakville, Canada