< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: gender: Judith Butler's pseudo materialism and culturalfeminism.(fwd)

by Boles (office)

21 March 2000 17:47 UTC

But can an "ACCURATE NOTION OF HUMAN NATURE" be constructed?  I think this
is the question put forth, not whether gender inequality is part of it or
not.  Or are we to define 'human nature' negatively by what it is not, i.e.
gender inequality is not part of it?  Doug seems to ask, "isn't all of
'human nature' a social construction, including gender?"  Will there ever be
an answer?  Some anthropologists and sociologists seem to argue that there
are some basic urges (e.g. hunger) and capacities (e.g. for language), but
that's about it.   Is this an accurate notion of human nature?  Or are these
concepts of what may constitute human nature a social construct?
elson