< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: race

by Mine Aysen Doyran

18 March 2000 02:57 UTC

>Richard N Hutchinson wrote:

>On this one, we appear to agree (at least for the most part).
>Race is a social construction, nonetheless real in its >consequences.

>[Race, in reality, is basically synonymous with ethnicity, but >based on
>some superficial physical characteristics as opposed to >language, or
>religion or some non-physical criteria.  So race/ethnicity and >sex/gender
>are not parallel constructions, as is commonly presented.  >Gender is based
>on an underlying biological difference (sex), while racial/ethnic
>categories are not.]

Before posting Marxism 2000 Richard, you should question your distortion of Marxism. No Marxist, Marxist feminist would buy the argument that  GENDER is based on "underlying biological difference".  This reductionism is sexist. If you mean by biology sex, you should also know that sex is just a biological construct. Gender is different from sex for it means a set of arrangements by "which the biological war material of human sex and procreation is shaped by human, social intervention and satisfied in a conventional manner" (Gayle Rubin. "Traffic in Women: The Political Economy of Sex). Our capitalist society has a gender system that is NOT narural or biological. Gender is a power relationship just as labor's relation to capitalist. This gender system:

1. based upon a dominant mode of production.

2. socially constructed

3. subject to historical change and development

4. and organized in a such way that is systematically reproduced in favor of men and bourgeois classes.

--

Mine Aysen Doyran
PhD Student