< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Human Nature: Born or Made? (fwd)

by md7148

17 March 2000 05:49 UTC

Khoo wrote:

>Do not treat cancers, again in the same age group (in the
>elderly, the evolutionary disbenefit has already been transmitted),
>for which there appears to be some genetic predisposition. etc. etc.
>If biology is to rule, then let it rule properly and in full
>sovereignty.

Why is this obsession with eliminating some people or desigining
strategies of evolutionary disbenefit? Why don't we instead
cultivate and nurture whatever potential we have as human beings?
Why don't we instead try to eliminate or cure the circumstances that
produce cancer rather than eliminating people? Why should not
we give them the chances of life and treatment?

>We might try to show that incest, too, has evolutionary
>benefit -- actually it would be a subset of the idea that rape has
>evolutionary benefit, given the number of rapes that occur in an
>incestuous context.

What kind of an evolutionary benefit does incest have for my sake?
On the contrary, incest taboo has some positive effects on our biological
and reprodoctive health. Overall, it is a beneficial evolutionary
strategy. Isn't it suffering when an intimacy turns into a power
relationship like father abusing his daughter or son abusing his sister?
Don't you see the children suffering from inter-familial marriages or
sexual intercourses? We have some cases like this in the rural areas of
Turkey where women are openly sold to some elders of the family for the
purposes of protecting the family wealth. Moreover, in the US (and
everywhere),in modern families so called, we have many hidden
and unarticulated incest cases.

I am off the topic here.I can not go on with these vulgarly immoral and
ideological arguments that rationalize rape, incest, all other sorts
of violences..

Mine