< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

communities against sweatshops

by Robert J.S. Ross

17 February 2000 23:45 UTC

Thursday, February 17, 2000

Dear Friends (especially in Massachusetts):

I am writing to invite activists in Massachusetts to a workshop that
will, I hope, launch an important stage in our campaign against
sweatshops.

On February 28th, from 7-9 PM Massachusetts Communities Against
Sweatshops, a project of the Sweatshop Task force of the Massachusetts
Interfaith Committee on Worker Justice, will hold a workshop on how to
construct a campaign for a municipal purchasing ordnance which requires
cities and towns to purchase apparel and other material made under fair
labor conditions.

Leading the discussion will be Steve Weingarten of UNITE’s national
staff.  Jerry Fishbein of UNITE will report on the process he went
through in securing passage of such an ordnance in Fall River Mass.
Leaders of the prospective campaign in Boston, MA will report on their
plans.  I have been asked to make brief comments on where the movement
has been and is. There will be an opportunity to break down into groups
and if enough USAS and student activists are present, there will be a
dedicated workshop on how students can contribute to community
campaigns.

Also under discussion is proposed statewide legislation for
Massachusetts that would cover licensing of the University of
Massachusetts name.

Municipalities purchase a large volume of uniforms and other textile
products.  Fair labor purchasing could give union members here in the US
a more secure future, and help defend the interests of workers abroad
when materials are purchased there.   This is an important community
initiative to which we heartily invite your participation.

Topic: A workshop on campaigning against sweatshops in your community.
Date:  Monday, February 28th
Place:  UNITE:  33 Harrison St., Boston, MA ( at the corner of Beach
St.)
-Near the Green Line/Boylston St. T stop;  also Chinatown Orange Line;
Downtown Crossing/ Red Line. –Commercial parking available and some
street parking.
Participants will receive a new organizing packet: Communities Against
Sweatshops.
Light refreshments will be available.
Please respond with about your plans to come to:
Jonathan Fine:  email: inalliance@mediaone.net
Phone: 617 574 9296

Sincerely,

Bob Ross for the Sweatshop
Taskforce

--
Robert J.S. Ross                              Voice: 508 793 7376
Professor of Sociology                        Fax:   508 793 8816