< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Kondratieff Wave?

by Quee-Young Kim

01 February 2000 18:44 UTC

As I understand it, there is nothing in human affairs so predetermined
as something like a law. K-Wave is not a law, it may not work like a
clock-work.
In the past several hundred years,
we had observed a regular pattern, largely within an economy that is
pretty well nationally prescribed, cycles of rise and fall of growth.

In recent years, however, the predicted pattern has not emerged, and thus
the puzzle as to why not disturbs the minds of impatient scholars.

The basic mechanism is the classic Marxist formula of over production, under

consumption and falling rate of profit.

However, as the nature of the market, as you rightly saw, can change
the dynamics of the cycle. The technique and strategy of
"exploitation" may also help change the dynamics. More importantly,
new institutions, safety valve mechanisms, and new set of global
institutional alignments can change the picture as well. Lastly, as it
happened
in the past, technological innovations can make the difference, not
necessarily
only at the downturn, but at any turn in changing the shape of the economic
productivity, consumption and profit.

Somewhere, Wallerstein published an article under the heading of
"America: Three Times Blessed." Or something like that. You may find
there some answers to your curiosity. He might have published a couple
of more pieces that may directly or indirectly address this problem.

Quee-Young   Kim
Department of Sociology
University of Wyoming
Kim@uwyo.edu