< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Conflicting visions for a World System

by Elson

22 January 2000 18:06 UTC

You asked to be corrected.

I don't recall anyone arguing that there should be a world government of
the party
and for the party.  I think "dictatorship of the proletariat" is failed
idea with few
supporters today.

Rather, I hear some argue that there should be a more just and equal world,
culturally, politically, economically.  Two different approaches I've seen
discussed
or implied include those who see a world government as the best means and
those who
argue for a state-by-state approach.   There may be a third, fourth, fifth
possible
outcomes.

>Could one not envision a World Confederation of Independent States, having
>some mechanisms for peacefully resolving disputes among members and a few
>more, while in general leaving members free to organize themselves
>according to the wishes of their people?

This is about what we already have: the United Nations, which is a
mechanism which
enforces world political and economic inequalities because it is not
democratic nor
could it be until it pursues policies that create economic equality.
Otherwise
democracy is (has been) a joke at best.  What needs to be added to this
picture, for
example, are world-government determined policies and mechanisms that
distribute
wealth and political power far more evenly.  This ought to include, for
example, the
conversion of production for profit enterprises to democratically run
non-profits,
global regulation/welfare-state (minimum wage, safety regulations,
child-labor laws,
education, health, pollution controls, etc.).  And one could go on.