< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Smoke Signals

by PAT.LAUDERDALE

21 January 2000 02:24 UTC

Yes, Smoke Signals is a very good film, especially in light of similar
flicks.
You will enjoy it at many levels and maybe you'll check out the old Pow Wow
Highway video which focuses more accurately upon group freedom via the old
indigenous path.  Alexie has many useful messages but he's caught up in the
Western individualism path with only a few asides to group issues, e.g., a
narrow rendering of family. We have seen enough of new age, modern knowledge
and intelligence [holocausts from the Nazis to NATO] rather than old age,
knowledge and wisdom

By the way, Kirkland's review is out of hand, many too many hyperboles.
It's
as if he confuses new age intelligence for old age wisdom.  Or, mabye he's
just trying to right the horrible Canadian record against First Peoples
[North
American Indians here].  Again, don't get me wrong, Smoke Signals is light
years beyond Dances with Christians [Wolves] and the simulacra of the John
Wayne movies.

Yours, in all of our indigenous roots [since we all come from them even if
we
can not trace them directly],
pl