< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Economists for Bradley (fwd)

by md7148

20 January 2000 05:57 UTC

Time changes; people write long, critical diatribes, but they suddenly
make peace with the order of things!! they become campaigners for US
Presidency..

this might be a good "research" topic on the crisis of the "intellectual"
though..

best,

Mine

[Forwarded at the request of Heidi Hartmann]

***[DO NOT SEND RESPONSES TO ME; NOTE E-MAIL ADDRESS BELOW]***

Dear Friends and Colleagues in Economics:

Barbara Bergmann and I have been circulating a statement of support for Bill
Bradley for economists to sign.  At the recent ASSA meetings, about 40
signed
on.  If we can get 100 or so sign-ons, the campaign may be able to use it to
generate some publicity about how economists think Bradley's policies are
economically sound and will not destroy our economic growth (as the Vice
President seems to be arguing).

Many economists have already signed the statement, including Nobel Laureate
Lawrence Klein, former chairman of the Federal Reserver Board Paul Volcker,
Lester Thurow at MIT, Henry Kaufman of Henry Kaufman & Company, Uwe Reinhard
and Gene Grossman at Princeton University, David Cutler and Rashi Fein at
Harvard University, James Galbraith at UT Austin, Nancy Folbre at UMass
Amherst, William (Sandy) Darity at the University of North Carolina and Duke
University, Lourdes Beneria at Cornell University, and Robert Reich, former
Secretary of  Labor.

If you would like to join these leading economists, please e-mail us back in
any of several ways.  Be sure to give your full name and affiliation as you
would like it to appear, and your telphone and fax numbers in case we need
reach you that way.

You can e-mail me, Heidi Hartmann (Institute for Women's Policy Research in
Washington, DC) at Heidi1677@aol.com or EconforBradley@aol.com, an account
which Barbara and I set up for this purpose.

PLEASE ALSO FORWARD THIS TO OTHERS YOU KNOW AND/OR PRINT OUT THE STATEMENT
AND SIGN-ON FORM AND CIRCULATE IT TO YOUR COLLEAGUES.

THANKS!

Heidi Hartmann
(The statement, a few quotes from those who have already signed on, and
signers follow.)

JOIN  LEADING  ECONOMISTS  IN  EXPRESSING
YOUR  SUPPORT  FOR  BILL  BRADLEY

We, the undersigned economists, agree to join in supporting Bill Bradley
for President.  We believe that Bill Bradley's initiatives will move the
country in the right economic direction.  As a senator serving on the
Senate Finance Committee, Bradley was a leader in addressing tax, trade, and
other economic policy issues and demonstrated his commitment to fiscal
prudence and economic efficiency.

Bradley has put forward a set of far-reaching proposals:

· to extend health insurance to millions of uninsured Americans,
· to reduce child poverty,
· to help working parents, and
· to reform the way we finance political campaigns in the United
      States.

The country needs initiatives like Bradley's to ensure that the benefits
of our national prosperity will be more widely shared.  By investing in
our people, they would lay a strong foundation for future economic
growth.

These are sound and realistic initiatives that the United States can afford.

We applaud Bill Bradley's leadership in addressing our country's long
standing problems and proposing bold steps to solve them.

Leading Economists Supporting Bill Bradley (with quotations)

Henry Kaufman, President, Henry Kaufman & Company
Bill Bradley understands the forces that drive the American economy, the
forces that are changing it, and its changing role in the world.

Paul A. Volcker, Former Chair, Federal Reserve Board
Bill Bradley strongly supported fiscal prudence in the early 1980's, a
position that wasn't so popular then and would have prevented the
mushrooming
of our national debt.

Nancy Folbre, Professor, University of Massachusetts
Bill Bradley's policies will reduce the unacceptably high rate of child
poverty in America.  We can afford to do this and we must do it if we want
everyone to be able to contribute to our nation's prosperity and share in
its
benefits.

Lourdes Beneria, Professor, Cornell University
Bill Bradley brings a breath of fresh air to an American
electorate eager to deal with the important issues we care about.

Lester Thurow, Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
No one should argue that a country as rich as the United States cannot
afford
health care for everyone.

Barbara R. Bergmann, Author, Saving Our Children from Poverty
In Bill Bradley, we have a candidate who understands that fair employment
and
fair pay for minorities and women need to be advanced further if we are to
achieve a fair society.

David Cutler, Professor, Harvard University
Bill Bradley has provided thoughtful, innovative, and workable solutions
to some of the most pressing economic issues of our day.

Gene Grossman, Professor, Princeton University
Bill Bradley is committed to free trade.  He will move the liberalization
process forward while safeguarding our values and environment.

James K. Galbraith, Professor, School of Public Affairs, University of Texas
Bill Bradley is a wise, thoughtful and fairminded leader.  He understands
the
economic issues we face.

Robert B. Reich, Former Secretary of Labor, and Professor, Brandeis
University
We have the opportunity to tackle the nation's great unfinished agenda.  The
times call for bold solutions.  Bill Bradley will provide them.

Signers:

Drucilla Barker, Hollins University
Francoise Carre, Radcliffe Public Policy Center
Mariam Chamberlain, National Council for Research on Women
Robert D. Cherry, Brooklyn College-CUNY
Joseph J. Cordes, Professor, George Washington University
William Darity, Jr., Professor, University of North Carolina and Duke
University
Robert Drago, Professor of Labor Studies, Pennsylvania State University
David Ellerman, Washington, DC
Rashi Fein, Professor Emeritus, Harvard University
Marianne A. Ferber, Professor Emerita, University of Illinois,
Urbana-Champaign
Deborah M. Figart, Richard Stockton College
Mark Flannery, University of Florida
David Gold, New York City
Nance Goldstein, Associate Professor, University of Southern Maine
Heather Grob, Olympia, Washington
Daniel Hamermesh, University of Texas
Heidi Hartmann, Institute for Women's Policy Research
David Hirschberg, Author, The Job Generation Controversy
Majorie Honig, Professor, Hunter College-CUNY
David Howell, New School University
Richard Hurd, Cornell University
Walter Isard, Cornell University
Estelle James, World Bank
Eileen Kaufman, New York
Lawrence Klein, Nobel Laureate, University of Pennsylvania
Michael Lovell, Professor, Wesleyan University
Susan Oster, School of Management, Yale University
Jeffrey S. Petersen, General Accounting Office
Jim Rebitzer, Professor, Case Western Reserve University
Cordelia Reimers, Hunter College-CUNY
Uwe Reinhard, Professor, Princeton University
Frank Roosevelt, Professor, Sarah Lawrence College
Stephen Rose, Educational Testing Service
Anwar Shaikh, Professor, New School University
John Simmons, Participation Associates
Jean Shackelford, Bucknell University
Janet Spitz, College of Saint Rose
Diana Strassman, Rice University and Feminist Economics
Myra Strober, Stanford University
Paula Voos, Rutgers University
Nan Wiegersma, Fitchburg State College
Robert Zevin, Robert Brooke Zevin Associates
Michael Zweig, SUNY-Stony Brook

ADD YOUR NAME HERE:
Please provide this information as you want it to appear, in the event the
Campaign decides to publicize this statement.  Please also provide
information on the best way to contact you between now and January 31, 2000.

(Printed Name)                          (Signature)

(Affiliation)

(E-mail address)                          (Telephone)
(Fax)

Mail this form to:  Economists for Bradley, 5430 41st Place, NW, Washington,
DC  20015
or fax it to:  (202) 686-3456
or e-mail your response to:  econforbradley@aolcom