< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Political kidnapping of 6-year-old Cuban Elian Gonzalez

by AC

17 January 2000 06:49 UTC

Stretchy-talk? Now we have really gotten silly, haven't we?

Here is a quote from Mr. Brooks:

"I did attack the ridiculous statement of Mr. Beaty, who seemed to attribute
Cuba's problems to "Castro""

In other words, contrary to what you say, I was not referring to "Cameron's
words...regarding Elian," I was referring to his words regarding Cuba's
problems in general.

In point of fact, not one word of either of Mr. Brook's two posts refer to
Elian. So your statement that "Cameron [is] saying that Castro is not the
issue in the debate over Elian's situation" is a pure and simple
fabrication - all that he wrote referred to the broader situation in Cuba.

In fact, as I said in plain English, I quite agree Elian should be returned
and, obviously, Castro is only of marginal importance to this issue which
is, itself, an issue of marginal importance. This, however, was not the
issue to which I responded, and your post has nothing to do with anything
either Mr. Brooks or myself wrote. Stretchy talk indeed. As with others,
what you refuse to confront is plain English and plain facts. And, my only
real point, this is sadly in keeping with a tragic historic legacy of such
intellectual dishonesty.

Anthony Chase