< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Political kidnapping of 6-year-old Cuban Elian Gonzalez

by Judi Kessler

16 January 2000 03:04 UTC

I agree with Dave. This falls under Family Law and, if judged in that
regard, would never make it out of the judge's chamber to trial. In the
US, when one parent dies guardianship automatically is conferred on the
surviving parent - as long as the parent is competent to care for the
child and is not in jail or indicted for a crime. No one has questioned
the father's competency to care for his boy.
As a matter of fact, US public opinion, whatever it may be, has no
business in this matter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A man who works with his hands is a laborer;
a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman;
but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart
is an artist" Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Judi A. Kessler
Center for U.S.-Mexican Studies
University of California, San Diego