< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Political kidnapping of 6-year-old Cuban Elian Gonzalez

by colin s. cavell

15 January 2000 23:30 UTC

Dear Jeffrey Beatty:

By writing:  "If indeed the boy is sent back to Cuba....", you acknowledge
that this action would indeed surprise you and, further, by your
additional statement:  "Here's Elian Gonzalez, courtesy of the American
government of laws," you acknowledge that current U.S. actions in
restraining Elian Gonzalez from returning home are a violation of law.  On
these two points, we can agree.

As regards your attempt at a pejorative statement:  "You should try it
some time," one can either infer that you have issued an invitation to
Fidel Castro to visit the U.S., so that he may enjoy what you refer to as
"the American government of laws" or, more likely, from another
interpretation of the overall tone of your message that, you are charging
that the Cuban government, under the leadership of Fidel Castro, does not
follow a system of laws or even, perhaps, that the Cuban government does
not follow "the American government of laws."  If, by chance, you meant to
issue an invitation to Castro to visit the U.S., then, Mr. Jeffrey Beatty,
one might get the idea that it is YOU who is adulating Castro, so I will
defer this interpretation, until I am corrected.  With regard to the
second interpretation, any student of Cuba's present government and
history can tell you that there is most certainly a system of laws in Cuba
which are mandated for all citizens and visitors to that island nation,
along with their associated penalties for violation of said laws.  And, of
course, if it is the third interpretation of your statement which was
intended, then, I am sure, that while Fidel and the Cuban people may thank
you for your offer, they have in the past and, I would guess, will
continue to formulate their own system of laws so as to pursue their own
course of development.

regards,

colin

Colin S. Cavell                         "Had it not been for the race
problem
Department of Political Science         early thrust upon me and enveloping
Thompson Tower, Box 37520               me, I should have probably been an
University of Massachusetts             unquestioning worshipper at the
shrine
Amherst, MA  01003-7520                 of the established social order and
of
Internet:  cscpo@polsci.umass.edu       the economic development into which
Voice:  (413) 546-3408                  was born."
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~cscpo           --W.E.B. Du Bois, 1868-1963