< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Political kidnapping of 6-year-old Cuban Elian Gonzalez

by AC

15 January 2000 04:44 UTC

Sure, you're right. The INS decision is correct imo, as is the public's
support for it and I'm sure most of this is done without any adulation of
Castro. But you don't find it a bit ironic that some of those expressing
such humanistic concern for the kid are also those who shrug their shoulders
at the often brutal repression within Cuba? Cameron Brooks' post ("Castro
isn't the issue...") was a perfect example of just the sort of uncritical
"adulation" to which Beatty refers. This isn't a minor issue, it's an echo
of a long, sad period in leftist politics which has either passively ignored
or actively justified the mass violence perpetrated in the name of leftist
ideologies in the 20th century ("Stalin is not the issue..."). The
excuse-making for Castro is just the last act in this farce, one which has
chosen hip posturing in place of confronting in a critical manner the
complexities and realities of all ideological constructs.

Anthony Chase