< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Roundtable Opportunities at ASA

by Spectors

10 January 2000 00:21 UTC

Note from Alan Spector

Please forward this to other relevant lists

The Section on Marxist Sociology would like to encourage any interested social scientists, including especially graduate students, to submit proposals and/or papers for roundtable sessions at the ASA convention in Washington, D.C. in August of 2000.  The SMxS believes that Marxism should be approached in a creative, rather than dogmatic way, and sees aspects of Marxist perspectives as intersecting with a wide range of topics in social science.

A roundtable proposal means that the person (s) making the proposal would like to make a presentation (data analysis, preliminary findings, ideas, theoretical discussion, proposals for research, debate) on a particular topic while also encouraging others of similar interest to make presentations and participate in the discussion. Roundtable organizers can also solicit other papers to be a part of their roundtable session.

A paper proposal for a roundtable is more suitable for someone who has a presentation (data analysis, preliminary findings, ideas, theoretical discussion, proposals for research, etc.) but who would rather have that paper incorporated into an existing roundtable, preferably of similar topics, rather than having the roundtable organized around their topic.

Typically, a roundtable session lasts about an hour. I've seen roundtable sessions range in size from three to twenty five participants. They are generally very useful because they provide an opportunity to meet and exchange ideas with others who have similar interests.  Graduate students often find that making a presentation at a roundtable session is less intimidating than at a regular session. But the roundtable session is a legitimate ASA session, and grad students can find the experience of making a presentation at the ASA a valuable activity. Furthermore, the SMxS will probably be able to help subsidize housing for some graduate students during the conference by reserving a suite as has been done in years past. Washington is within a day's drive from many universities, and this is an especially good year to attend because there will doubtless be debate and controversy as well as the opportunity to meet and interact with others of similar interests.

This year, the co-organizers for the roundtable sessions are

Ric Brown brbgc@ix.netcom.com and Alan Spector spectors@netnitco.net

The division of labor we have worked out is that Ric will solicit, assemble, and organize those topics that deal with culture and ideology including but not limited to such topics as:

Marxist Perspectives on:
Race and the Production of Sociological Knowledge
Feminism Today
*Marx and Cultural Studies
Authority and Fascism
Postmodernity
Popular Culture
The Critique of Culture
*Music, Performance, Cinema
The Production of Space and the Everyday
New Forms of Control
The Domination of Nature
*Globalization after the Seattle WTO Meeting
*Welfare Reform and the new Work Ethic
*Communism Ten Years After its Death
*Critical Theory and the Frankfurt School
History of Marxism
Radical Critiques of Marxism
Marx and Marxism in North American Sociology
*Remarks on "Recent" Works by
Antonio Negri, Stuart Hall, Dorthy E. Smith, Henri Lefebvre, J.
Habermas EO Wright, Stanley Aronowitz, Arato and Cohen, Rosemary
Hennessy, etc.

--------------------------

Alan (that's me) will solicit, organize, assemble roundtables on just about everything else, including, but not limited to such general topics as:

Globalism or Imperialism--New World Alignments;
Ethnic War and Nationalism;
Right Wing Extremism and Political-Economic Crisis;
The Prospects for Systemic Fascism
The Future of Health Care under Capitalism;
"War against Drugs or War against Working Class Youth?"
The Rapid Growth of Incarceration in the U.S.
The Resurgence of Coerced Labor (Prison, Welfare, etc.)
Issues in Political Economy
Marxist Approaches to Racism;
Biology, Ideology and Social Theory;
Assessing a Century of Marxism;
Who Should Be the Working Class' "Person of the Century?"
Grassroots Organizing and the Marxist Project and any other topic, whether more data oriented or theory oriented.

The point of listing all those topics is not to limit it, but to indicate how open the range of topics is. As anyone can see, some of them overlap. Coherent roundtables will be put together from the submissions we get.  What we need are proposals, rather than completedly polished papers. Please get them together, as either Roundtable topics or single papers, and submit them to one or both of us at the e-mails listed above.  The roundtable session and the meeting with come right before are one of the few times at the conference, or for that matter, during the year, when we can all get together in one room and exchange ideas (as well as meet the faces behind the e-mails!) These are some of the best events of the whole ASA convention. It is important for the cohesion and development of the SMxS as well as for the maintenance of a radical-critical voice within sociology.

So again, everyone, including grad students, is invited to participate. But we have a close deadline and need to put this all together soon. So please try to respond by January 25th if possible.