< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Existentialist Reformtation

by George Pennefather

24 December 1999 13:47 UTC

It makes for an interesting exercise to compare existentialist philosophy
with Reformation
thinking.

For Zwinglie certainty of belief did not guarantee that one was correct and
 would be
saved. Under predestination we can never know whether we are members of the
elect. Only
god knows those that are to be saved. Consequently no matter what the
individual does he
can never be sure that he is to be saved. In short no matter how certain
and committed the
individual is to her/his convictions there can be no guarantee that one's
convictions are
correct and that commitment to those convictions is meaningful or make
sense. Convictions,
then, can never guarantee success.

This reformation theology introduces the element of uncertainty into the
world. It
introduces, if you like, anxiety into our lives. It, in many ways, marks
the beginning of
the age of anxiety --Freud and all that. Indeed reformation theology was an
expression of
the new kind of individualist anxiety establishing itself in Western
culture --not
unconnected with the development of capitalism.

Under this theology the individual is forever striving to realise his/her
convictions
while never being certain that these convictions are either realistic and
capable of
achievement. Wo/man then is forever striving to get beyond himself without
ever having a
guarantee of getting there. This is similar in ways to the existentialist
outlook of
Sartre: wo/man is perpetually engaged in projecting himself beyond himself
and yet never
fulfils himself, never acquires happiness and contentment, never achieves
being-for-itself.

Only god knows when man is saved. But since, in a sense, we can never
really know what the
absolute is thinking because of our limitations it never amounts to more
than Sartre's
being-in-itself --it is just there and that is all we can say about it. But
for Sartre as
in Nausea, being-in-itself sticks its nose into our being from time to time
which is
experienced by us as nausea or anxiety or whatever you want to call it.The
tree trunk in
Nausea is just this being-in-itself. This manifestation of being-in-itself
is a form of
mysticism --a mystical experience-- and akin to Reformation mysticism.

Indeed as France, as I understand it, never experienced the Reformation in
the radical way
that Germany or Switzerland experienced one might say that the emergence of
existentialism
in post-war France was France's belated and thereby surreal Reformation.

The above are some off the cuff quickies --food for thought for those who
will continue to
tap away despite the bourgeois festival called Christmas.

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.eircom.net/~beprepared/