< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Proposed ASA "Statement on 'Race'"

by TANYA M GOLASH

15 December 1999 02:34 UTC

Fellow sociologists,

I am writing to seek your support for a proposed "Statement on 'Race'" by
the American Sociological Association (ASA).  This short document, adapted
from a recent statement by the American Anthropological Association,
reflects current scholarly research on "race."  It asserts that "race" is
a socially constructed ideology invented to justify social and political
inequalities.

It is particularly important that the ASA take a stand with this
statement, at a time when some social scientists are reviving discredited
arguments that treat racial categories as biological and unequal.

I urge you to visit the website, http://www.unc.edu/~tatiana, in order to
view the proposed statement, sign the petition, and add your comments and
suggestions.

I would appreciate it if you would distribute this message to other
sociologists, and I apologize for cross-postings.

Thank you for your help on this very important matter.

Tanya Golash