< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: ASA on Transaction and Rushton

by Steve Rosenthal

11 December 1999 20:08 UTC

I think Carl Jorgensen makes a lot of good points and has made an
important contribution by making a strong effort to find out what
Transaction and Rushton actually did.  I urge others  to help us
bring out the full facts behind the distribution of Rushton's book.

To add a couple points:  First, regardless of how the mailing list was
obtained and how the abridged edition was distributed, the abridged
edition is a Transaction publication, and this is certainly made
explicit in the abridged edition.  The abridged edition could not
have been mass produced without their complicity.

Second, Transaction published the original edition of this work.
There is absolutely no justification for or defense of that decision.
No one can legitimately claim that Rushton's manuscript makes any
contribution to human knowledge or is based on any scientific
knowledge.  Every racist ideological assertion Rushton makes has been
scientifically refuted in great detail numerous times.  There is no
legitimate debate over whether black people are an inferior race.
There is no legitimate scientific debate over whether there are
superior and inferior races.  These are not open scientific questions
that requires further research.

Lest anyone accuse me of being dogmatic on this issue, I would like
to point out that there are two kinds of dogmatism in science.  One
kind occurs when you make an assertion based on insufficient
evidence.  The other kind occurs when you refuse to accept an
assertion that is based on conclusive evidence.  Those who think that
there are biological races and that these races are unequal are
guilty of the second kind of dogmatism.  (I credit sociologist Peter
Knapp at Villanova for making this point in his fine book "Crisis and
Change."

Under these circumstances, even though Transaction has published
useful books, and even though it may turn out that they were at least
in part deceived, they should still be held accountable for the
distribution of what some have justifiable called academic
pornographic hate mail.

When one of us submits something for publication that is rejected
because it is deemed lacking in scientific rigor, we are unable to
override that consideration and get the piece published anyway.  Why
are the most extreme racists able to do that and more?  Why are they
able to obtain generous grants, be named fellows, be set up to devote
full time to writing racist trash, to get lavish uncritical media
attention?

They sure do have "free" speech.  The capitalists of this country
freely spend a lot of money to spread this fascist filth.  In
contrast, never have thorough radical refutations of these racist
ideologies been freely spread through mass channels in this society.
The discourse on racism is as controlled and censored as was the Gulf
War in 1991, in both cases in the interests of the capitalist ruling
class.

Capitalists need the ideology peddled by Rushton to justify the
increasingly fascist terror aimed at black workers and youth in this
society.  They need it to build white support for that terror and to
increase racist divisions in the population.  That is why, no matter
how many times scientists refute this racist garbage, the garbage is
recycled over and over again.  That will happen as long as capitalism
endures, for capitalists cannot maximize their profits and power
without racism.  In the world today, as US profits and power are
increasingly challenged by European and Asian capitalist competitors,
sectors of the US ruling class are driven by self-interest to
increase racism in every form and on every front.

That is why we must get more and more people to oppose racism in
every form and on every front.

Steve Rosenthal