< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Furthermore, all biology isn't genetic! Of course!

by Spectors

11 December 1999 15:22 UTC

One last, minor point. Something can be "biological" without being
"genetic."   A recent important book on obsessive-compulsive disorder
reports that the brains of people diagnosed as having this disorder get
flooded with a particular type of chemical as they are having an incident.
In the study, one group was denied the opportunity to act out the disorder.
After a number of months, the "urge" to commit the act, and the flooding of
the brain with the chemical, significantly declined.  In other words, there
ARE some things as "habits", like the palpable urge to eat a dessert or the
psychological-physically palpable discomfort when NOT wearing a seat belt in
an auto in some situations.

Whether or not you accept that brain study, we do know that conditioned
generated by an old song to the rush of adrenaline when we see a bouncing
ball in the street in front of our moving car. Of course they are
biological, but they are not genetic.

But because we can more clearly feel the biological-chemical aspect of the
emotion, it can lead us to think that we are dealing with something "buried
very deep inside our being."   But developing those conditioned responses
did not come from our genes nor even from pre-natal environments, and
treating destructive behavior (assuming first and foremost that the
definition of "destructive" is not a pro-capitalist ideology laden
definition where all rebellion is seen as "destructive"!!)----that treating
destructive behavior does not require eugenics--forced sterilization,
selective breeding, etc.; NOR does it require gene therapy; NOR does it
require drug therapy. It might just require putting someone in an
environment where pro-social, constructive behavior is rewarded/reinforced,
rather than an environment where anti-social, greedy, destructive behavior
is the institutional norm, accompanied by pious statement of morality.

In other words, that's why we have to get rid of capitalism and create a
world free of exploitation of all kinds, and a world free of the culture and
norms that justifies or apologizes for even the slightest forms of
inequality or exploitation. Marx called his first major attempt at
discussing it: "The Communist Manifesto."

Alan Spector