< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Racist Rushton book

by Elson

08 December 1999 23:48 UTC

>I try to make a mental note on genetic- racial differences and so far have
>a list with just two of minor importance. Mongols differ from all other
>races in that they do not produce relatively large quantities of alcohol
>dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase, which detoxifies or breaks down
>alcohol.
snip
>W Kirk.

In the first place, race doesn't exist.  It is a social construct, not a
biological
one.

There is no "Mongol" race.  If one travels from Indonesia through East Asia,
including Japan, through Mongolia, up to Russia, one crosses a gradation of
traits
with no clear cut boundaries as to when one allegedly leaves one "racial
group" and
enters another.  Further, scientists cannot find any set of genetic traits,
including
the production of alcohol dehydrogenase, that separate one group of humans
from
another.  In this case, there are people who look more so-called Caucasian
in
Mongolia and Russia than do Chinese "Han" but who also do not produce
alcohol
dehydrogenase.

A similar case emerged with respect to resistance to malaria.  The
resistance was
thought to exist among so-called "Negroes" until it was discovered that
there are
"whites" in Greece (and elsewhere due to migration) who have a similar
resistance.
Why?  They lived in areas that had malaria for an extended period (hundreds
of
thousands of years presumably).

elson