< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Times review of Rushton's book

by Charlie Stevens

08 December 1999 17:30 UTC

I have been lurking on the list for a month or so and finding the discourse
very informative and enlightening.  As an anthropologist, I am not quite as
up to snuff on many of the theoretical issues that seem to pervade the part
of sociology revealed on this list. So my reluctance to involvement thus
far.

With regard specifically to Boris Stremlin's recent discussion of Rushton's
work and the past criticisms of the underlying racism of the Bell Curve,
the American Anthropological Association has  released a statement from the
discipline on definitions of race and repeated that the concept of race in
humans has no biological validity .  The idea, in the most crude sense,
that there is any biological connection between melanin and intellect is
preposterous. Additionally, there was protracted discussion of  race in the
Anthropology Newsletter for the better part of last year's issues. The
conclusion is that, outside of some (problematic) utility of the race
concept in forensic anthropology, race has only cultural relevance. For
anthropologists, race is culturally defined, and is decidedly not a
biologically relevant construct.

After anthropology's own racist science in the early part of this century
(see, for example, Stephen J. Gould's The Mismeasures of Man) that sought
to place "races" in categories representing earlier "stages" of humanity
through which Europeans had already passed, the research findings continue
to demonstrate that in any categorization of humanity, there is ALWAYS more
genetic diversity within any given category that there is between
categories.  As well and largely (as I understand it) in response to the
conclusions of the Bell Curve, significant research among psychologists
increasingly demonstrates that there are types of intelligence. This
includes athletic, artistic, musical, literary, emotional and mathematical
intelligence. The disproportionate influence of environment versus nature
in regards to the development of these forms of intelligence has never,
after a century of attempts to isolate deterministic influence, been
conclusive.  As various forms of scholars of humanity, we are then left to
marvel equally over the genius of Picasso, or Marx, or Mozart, or ........
Barry Sanders.

Best regards,
Charlie Stevens