< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Boys and Ether

by John_R_Groves

06 December 1999 14:53 UTC

Mine, you wrote: Randall,  you are confusing. It is ME who wrote it, not
Ahmet

Sorry about that. With so many people exchanging views and quoting each
other it
 can get
confusing!

  >Boy, that is a lot of work for one concept!

who is a boy here? i am not a "boy".. what kind of a male dominated list is
this?

"Boy" was not meant to refer to anyone, male or female. It was an expression
like "Geez" or "Dang." But then you may be pulling my leg on this one since,
as you point out, I actually addressed my comments to a guy.

On sexism preceding capitalism, I see you agree, although our sources
probably should be more recent than Engels. I also did not claim that sexism
went all the way back (whatever that would mean), but I would say that it
goes
as far back as recorded history. The great books of the Greek ancient world
reveal a very sexist society existing long before capitalism.

But my key point concerned categorical overkill. We should be wary of
having one concept, capitalism, do so much work. Maybe capitalism
should go the way of "ether" in physics.

Randy Groves