< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

capitalism: magic word

by ahmet cakmak

05 December 1999 18:25 UTC

I think Randy Groves put his finger on a very critical
point.I don't know whether capitalism is a useless
term in the post-communist world or not. But, I think
there is something wrong here. We attach a so broad
meaninig to term capitalism that it explains nothing
except very kong term considerations,as in the last
note of Andy Austin. Andy is right about capital
accumulation and capitalism. But so what ? Can we make
a fruitfull discussion on,for example Ed's thoughts,
starting from here ?
I think we have a very economistic interpretation of
capitalism. The last decades debates on states between
Offe, Piciotto, Clarke, Bishop and others gave us new
insights of course, but I think this debate made more
blurred our stance on state,especially on
nation-state. Maybr one of the reasons of this is that
we have too much or too less premises on what's going
on. How much effort we devote to what ? This is
crucial and determine the future of our scientific
success and it is a matter of degree. I think We make
wrong at this point.