< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

FW: Eyewitness account of nonviolent action at WTO

by Greg Claxton

02 December 1999 19:41 UTC

* * *

I have one problem with the activists' premise.  That is, the line should be
drawn farther back.  I disagree with the groups who try to draw a
distinction between shutting down the meeting and rioting.  Although no one
got hurt, shutting down the conference was an act of violence, in that it
deprived the delegates of their rights to association, assembly and speech.
I'm disappointed that when the WTO offered to include activists in open
forums, the activists declined, instead deciding that it is better to shut
down the process completely.  That's as undemocratic as throwing stones at a
McDonald's window.

The problem is that activists don't distinguish between the successful
protests of the civil rights movement and the unsuccessful ones that
followed.  I can't imagine Martin Luther King leading anything like what
happened in Seattle.  Did MLK shut down the Birmingham bus system?  No, he
led a boycott.  Did he shut down Selma?  No, he led a march.  Did he block
the streets of Washington and prevent Congress from meeting until blacks
were better represented?  No, he led a peaceful protest on the Mall.  Even
the Greensboro lunch counter boycotts--the prototype for civil
disobedience--did not deprive others of their right to do business at the
very same lunch counter or of the lunch counter owner to keep his business
open.

The Seattle protesters should not have blocked the convention center.  They
should have gathered peacefully, spoken, demanded that their voices be heard
and participated in forums when invited.  Instead, they waged a "Battle."
Is it any surprise that some took the battle literally?  Mike Dolan and his
collegues are every bit as much to blame for what happened as the less
informed thugs in ski masks.

C. Sisk