< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: battle in seattle: we win round one! Not!

by CEichels

02 December 1999 04:46 UTC

You have done nothing of the sort.  Your "win" is only in your own mind and
if that is all you seek, then that's just fine.  The WTO will not be
deterred
one iota from its goal.  When the violent protesters were actually asked
what
the point of their violence was....they did not know!  The perfect
opportunity for face time for whatever cause was lost.  Violence for
Violence
sake.  Not much of a statement there.  You can get the same from any basic
action movie or video game.  Even Greepeace is better than that.  A tempest
signifying nothing.
The protesters with a legitimate cause will now be connected with mob
violence and the establishment will refuse to listen entirely.  Legitimate
causes such as concern for the environment and labor issues are
overshadowed
by unfocused destruction.  So far, at least, the police has behaved rather
well, confining most of their actions to water and teargas.  Rather benign.

And finally, protests against WTO are the anitithesis of a world order.
The
WTO is a world wide organization whose goal it is to enhance world wide
trade.  I find it ironic that participants on this list condem the WTO.  I
can see where one might oppose certain policies but the WTO as a whole is a
perfect example of a nascent globalism.  It would be smart for some of its
opponents to do the same.  Instead, Labor complains of jobs being
exported...so what?  That is a perfect redistribution of wealth.
Eventually
the living standards in the areas to which the jobs have been exported to
will rise and they too can reap the benefits of a mature economy.

Ignorant fools...oh well, their protests won't amount to much in the end.

Alex G. Tyrell