< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: global health vs. welfare

by Andrew Wayne Austin

02 December 1999 01:40 UTC

Dr. Barendse,

There is also a serious bottleneck with respect to pharmaceutical
companies and patent rights. One of the issues sure to be raised at the
WTO meetings is strengthing controls over drug patents. AIDS and other
diseases concentrate in the periphery where people haven't the resources
to buy the outrageously expensive medications the major pharmaceuticals
monopolize (medications subsidized by the tax dollars of citizens in the
core countries). Pharmaceutical industry spokespersons offer all sorts of
excuses, such as that Third World people haven't the sophistication to
participate in the complex drug therapy regimes that people in the core
can manage, if they can afford it. Drug companies claim their profits
would be damaged, but estimates show that local generics produced at cost
would have minimal impact on the industry. Neither of these excuses are
good excuses. The emphasis on profits is all wrong, anyway. Peripheral
physicians and many doctors in the core are tired of having to send their
patients home to die when there are drugs available that could either cure
their ailment or greatly ameliorate their suffering.

Andy Austin