< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: telos, rationality and action

by Charles J. Reid

01 December 1999 21:33 UTC

Just a thought, Randy: Most people are neither rational nor moral when
they act. You can certainly see this is business, especially sales and
marketing, both of which are built on essential dishonesty, and where all
participants suspect that all other participants are lying by commission
or omission.

I would hypothesize in a scientific sense, that, given the sets of all
actions all individuals commit during a particular time interval
(excluding times when they are asleep), at least 50 percent of all acts
are either irrational or immoral for at least 50 percent of all the people
in the population (note: NOT 'sample' but population).

As for 'social good' -- social good has never been produced without
leadership, sometimes immoral acts, and rarely through a collective
concensus we might call the democratic process. I think history will bear
out the fact that minorities of leaders have accounted for the emergence
of 95 percent of anything we might refer to as a 'social good.' (Example:
Only 5 percent of the population supported the American Revolution.)

//CJR