< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: On Randy Groves big points

by Andrew Wayne Austin

01 December 1999 03:43 UTC

On markets. I am not sure that markets have always been a part of human
existence, but I did not think we were talking about markets in the
abstract, transhistorically. I thought we were talking about *capitalist*
markets. Moreover, it seems reasonable to characterize markets as
inventions in the sense that they are the products of organized human
activity. To deny this elevates markets to a suprahistorical status.

When we speak of production or social class or markets, etc., we usually
always speak about them given the character of the totality in which they
appear as real things, not general sociological or political economic
categories.

Andy Austin