< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Rev Int Movement (fwd)

by md7148

26 November 1999 08:43 UTC

mine writes:

>>>communist parties have a legitimate right to exist even
>>>though they use violence. their violence is against capitalism, which
is
>>>okey for me. i believe that there is a legitimate right to use violence
>>>on the part of the oppressed against the oppressers.

ed questions:

>Have you read nothing about what the Communist party did in Russia in
>the1920s and 1930s  -- the show trials, the gulags, the knocks at
>midnight?
>Given any strongly held ideology, it is easy to point at nonbelievers,
>pin
>labels on them, and use violence against them.

Mine:

ed, i do not know which country you are coming from, but if you are
imperialized, your resources largely shared by colonial powers, your
children getting killed, your citizens being tortured, you have no other
choice but to live on a slave labor, your race inferiorized, your human
rights taken away, your economy distmantled,and your people tested for
genetic engineering, I believe that there is a  LEGITIMATE RIGHT TO
REVOLT AGAINST  THOSE WHO OPPRESS YOU WHATEVER THE MEANS AVAILABLE AT THE
TIME, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO USE VIOLENCE IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR
LIVELIHOOD FROM AN ILLEGITIMATE USE OF VIOLENCE.

it is very much like a woman getting raped or beaten, and has to violence
to protect her body from an illegitimate use of force (i think ALan has
mentioned this before)

ed questions:

>And by the way, have the "oppressed" asked you to use violence on their
>behalf?  Might it not be better to go out, like Ghandi did, and ask them
>how
>you can best serve them and work with them to make the world a better
>place?

Mine:

i did NOT say that the oppressed should ask ME "to use violence on their
behalf". nobody strategically calculates to pick up a hero. revolutions
are complex turmoils, which can not be reduced to personality cults;
they are generated by 1. existing socio-economic and international
conditions 2. world-historical developments 3. resources available to
oppressed members of classes 4.existing objective economic contradictions
5. relations of groups within society conditioned by intermeshing of
structural forces, external and internal . given these circumstances,
oppressed get organized and revolt, such as it happened in French
REvolution (however semi-bourgeois it was), russian revolution,
chineese revolution, and other national liberation movements during the
period of decolonization.

>Ed Weick

Mine