< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

From periphery to .....

by Emilio José Chaves

25 November 1999 21:12 UTC

Hi Mine, and list-friends,
It is good to know that we do not differ too much about peripheric history
interpretation. I wish I knew that history in the way you do. Some comments
on some of your remarks:
1. *** burden should not be put on the shoulders of communist states in the
periphery. these states had no other choice but to protect themselves***
I wish for latinoamericans most of the conquers obtained by the cuban
people
under such a criminal pressure from the empire and its allies. They have
given us a lesson of dignity, moral strength and hope. Why have they
advanced so much -so far- and others have not?
2) ***** revolutions can not (be) pre-determined, they are done. nobody
strategically calculated "let's folks have a national revolution...". this
is an idealist reading of history.****
Revolutions, or deep-social evolutions are human projects socially
constructed. They are historically situated, have their theorics, their
strategies, and if they succeed in taking power, they may not in building
the goal, the utopy, for many different reasons -like oppresors reply, or
new mistakes introduced by theirselves, ...- They are unfinished tasks that
require constant self-revision and peoples participation. Am I wright if I
understood that you accept that determinism is not possible, but
worked-utopies are needed? Don't you think that any project has always an
ideal component  -besides others-?
3)**** what ever happened in Russsia, china, Cuba and other countries can
not be thought in isolation from other developments elsewhere..... to argue
that they were simply national is to underestimate their systemic effects
world-wide ******
Complete agreement. Systemic approach is therefore always relevant. The
same
happends with environment, economy, women-movement, minorities-rights,
modes
..
4)**** these guys failed (or at least tried their best). it is not because
the strategies of revolutionaries were outmoded that they failed, but it is
because they were prevented by systemic forces from coming power or
continuing their livelihood.*****
It seems it does not match with what you say in number 2) about strategy.
Stalin, Coecescu and Pol Pot made terrible unexpected things, which can not
be charged to imperial systemic forces. Pinochet, Franco, Salazar, Videla,
Somoza, Amin, Stroessner, Trujillo, Marcos, Sukarno, Suharto, Mobutu Zeze,
the Sha, Duvalier, .. made terrible things with the support and approval of
imperial systemic forces. All they are crimes against humanity.
If the soviet block collapsed, it was due more to internal big mistakes,
than to systemic forces, and both of them acted at the time. That fact does
not make capitalism a decent system. The defects of the adversary do not
make me a virtuous person, but I may take advantage of them.
5)***** however, whether or not "hope" will bring change is disputable
for me. i do not think that we can change the system by peceful or
pro-systemic means ******
In any project that you undertake there is an inherent hope that you will
get your goal. We speak of hope as an inner active conviction, not as a
passive waiting. Peaceful methods does not imply pro-systemic means/goals.
Look at Ghandi, Mandela, Plaza Mayo mothers, or liberation theology. We
know
that present systemic-forces love bloody-methods (Kosovo, Chechenia, Timor,
Chile, Colombia,..), and also that violence has been a reality in history,
few times for good. The fact that main systemic-forces are irrational and
violent does not mean that we must behave like them, neither accept their
provocations, but I agree that in cases like Nazi's madness there is no
other choice. Pacific methods are preferable and they are becoming more
frequent lately, but clearly not always effective. Their advantage is that
when they are wrong, the mistake is on the side of life, not against it.
5)*** we have to undestand the inner-workings of capitalism in order to be
able to criticize and change the system.****
Agreement. That was Marx task, not completed by him, not yet finished by us.
6)*** i am hopelesss for the core because their intellectuals
are totally co-apted and pro-systemic.*****
This chat-line is a proof of another point of view. As far as they are
alive
and acting, there is hope in the core, and reafirmation in the periphery.
7)***moreover, their social movements are very isolated from each other,
and
are single issue oriented.***
That may be the present reality to work with. New systemic mission is to
face it in the core and in the periphery. It may take several generations,
but that is not a problem. If the main goal is clear, why do we have such a
difficulty to handle minor differences?
8)*** capitalism is becoming more and more overwhelming, more and more
oppresive and more and more agressive*****
Agreement. Their trend is toward a market-techno-fascism or neo-fascism as
some people already call them. Theirs is a dangerous, indignant and quite
boring propposal for colective life. They think they are mentally sane
because they dominate the planet.
9)*** i am hopeful for the periphery if right strategies are applied.**
Your hopes for the perifery are as important as ours for the core. About
the
right strategies (?), ...  we are not so sure, but we know that each people
will develop new ones and learn from others, in a permanent renovating
process. Look at Seattle-WTO movilization, Pinochet's trial, Green Peace
actions, Concerned Scientists, Medicine for Peace, Human Rights NGOs,
vacilant position of Woytila requesting perdon for church past record, ...
there are several signals to think that it is coming a reversal of the
tide,
if we are not yet in it.
The more that mainstream think-tanks decrete Marx death, the more he
reappears, perhaps we are learning to read and interpret him with more
freedom and creativeness, without fears of being excluded by the owners of
dogma. Marx wrote for 1850 realities, under a different cultural
environment, with simpler tools, and less information than today, and
produced one of the best known systemic explanations. His relevance, in
spite of his flaws, is the best proof of the failure of XX century
mainstream economics schools, so eager to criticize him, and so poor in
results and convincing explanations and forecasts. They demand him what
they
do not demand to theirselves, neither to any scientist of those times, and
seem more dedicated to make apologetics of the system than good science:
Class bias, lack of ethics, lack of imagination, career ambitions,
self-programmed alienation, sheep spirit? Hard to say.
The problem is that stalinist beaurocracies showed similar symptoms. (Erich
Fromm is excellent explaining it).
Power has toxic effects even in small dosis, and it becomes harder to
handle
under imperial-systemic-pressure. But anyone of us has his/her bit of power
to handle. That is the reason why we request human greatness and ethical
controls for an eventual pro-new-world-system project, and their eventual
leaders. Are we asking too much from them, from ourselves and from world
people?

Thanks Mine, and cordial regards from Emilio.

Emilio José Chaves
Pasto, Colombia, S.A.