< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Fw: Re: Maps

by kpmoseley

16 November 1999 16:02 UTC

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Douglas Whitaker <mrkdwhit@wallet.com>
To: <kpmoseley@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 02:04:25 -0600
Subject: Re: Maps

        Your email only went to me. ;-) Though your question was aimed at
the list.
        Do you know of any other authors who have a geographic
orientation
to borders? I know (from heresay actually) that Czarist Russian
administrative borders within the empire were organized on such a
geographic
basis.

Regards,

Mark Whitaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison

At 04:31 PM 11/15/99 -0500, kpmoseley@juno.com wrote:
>I am  delighted that someone, somewhere has mentioned the geographical
>and structural realities that do, indeed, often underlie political
>borders.
>The same dissident thought often comes to my mind when people speak,
>sweepingly, of the "arbitrary" borders imposed by colonial powers in
>Africa, supposedly totally out of whack with ethno-economic realities.
>Many of the borders, actually, make fairly good sense, and the
>alternatives that one can imagine are usually not much better.
>But then, this may reflect only the antediluvian assumptions of someone
>who still clings to the nation state as not such a bad institution after
>all....
>
>On another matter, there was mention recently of a paper by Wallerstein,
>"The end of the world as we know it." Superb title! Could anyone tell me
>if it is published or a ms.?
>                                       Many thanks,    KPM
>
>*******
>
>On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 22:17:11 -0600 Mark Douglas Whitaker
><mrkdwhit@wallet.com> writes:
>

>>At 04:28 PM 11/14/99 -0500, Georgi M. Derluguian wrote:
>>>The tech library at Binghamton .... has a special map
collection....The