< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: A WP stuck in the past?

by Troy Davis

14 November 1999 23:39 UTC

--- Robert Gregory <R.J.Gregory@massey.ac.nz> schrieb:
> Given that the United Nations form an organization of
non-governmental organizations, nation-states, and
governments, that the business and industrial corporations
have their own set of organizational structures and
activities, the individuals around the world have little to
represent them and their interests at the global level.  The
existing organizations have already been formed and are being
maintained with now vested and hierarchical interests that
pursue the goals of the organizations, not necessarily the
individuals within.

> Why not a global linkage of individuals via Internet to
form a world party - party both in the sense of links between
individuals focused on their rights and responsibilities, and
party in the sense of celebration?  The Internet offers a new
and global vehicle that can bring us together in exciting and
meaningful ways to represent the interests of all individuals
around the world.

> Bob Gregory

Forget the internet as the main tool.  It can only be an
adjunct and form maybe be the backbone to link local/national
offices, not for all individuals, especially not those who
need change the most.  2/3 of the world's population could
not even afford telephone service if the line ran by their
house.  So let's forget this starry-eyed internet business
for all.  I am 1000% for using the internet and we even have
a proejct to make a virtual global election in October 2000
during the UN Millennium Summit of heads of State, as a PR
coup, but forget universal access.  The digital divide is
growing faster than ever !

=====
Troy Davis, President
World Citizen Foundation/Fondation des Citoyens du Monde
Secretary, Global Coalition "World Democracy 2010"
Secrétaire, Coalition "Démocratie Mondiale 2010"