< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Africa

by Troy Davis

14 November 1999 00:04 UTC

COMMENT
> I think we have a problem here, not only because of what is
*on* the table, but also with respect to who is *at* the
table, or, more correctly, who is *not* at the table.  I am
looking at this in terms of "global apartheid" (my  way of
saying center-periphery hierarchy or imperialism).

I agree with Gerd in general but it does not mean a small
group from anywhere cannot design a strategy valid for
everywhere.  It is difficult but not impossible.  Especially
if the probem is by definition global.

I was greatly encouraged last week when speaking at
/attending the All-Africa Peace Conference, where 90% of
people were from Africa.   Not only did they enthusiastically
endorse the Global Coalition World Democracy 2010 (and put it
in their final declaration, along with a sentence saying that
it was necessary to create the legitimacy to create real
world law to solve global problems), but about a third signed
the statement of the world democracy coalition and a large
group decided to launch an African Campaign for World
Democracy.  Which we by the way do not and cannot control.
We will try of course to get some funding to have an office
in Nairobi, give advice etc.  but it is really their baby.
They plan to go the grassroots, to villages, to pastoral
communities, to churches, to include world democracy in
pastoral letters, to speak to elders, to get mayors to sign
up, parlementarians, to get thousands of children in world
citizen clubs, to include WD in civic education classes etc.
etc.  While this WSN discussion revolves around theory, we
have provided them with a simple easy yet strong tool  - ie
an idea - which they can use to empower themselves.  And
believe, these are people with no money, some refugees from
the Rwanda genocide, others from the war in Sudan etc.  These
are not people we (I should say I since I was there totally
alone) could just beguile or hypnotize with nice words or
idealogical discourse.  These are people who suffer and know
the problems of Africa.   They ask hard questions such as why
would this or taht idea be useful to them, how would it help
get them food and peace ??  The proof of an idea is whether
it is so clear and logical that its exposition suffices to
convince people of its power.  Granted it took 80 minutes of
plenary time and 2 three-hour workshops, but it still speaks
for the success of WD that the people confronted with the
worst conditions of life on the planet were finally convinced
that this idea is good.   These are people who have
understood the message of World Democracy (WD) and that this
is what they need to reverse the balance of power which is in
favour of the North right now.  If some of you want to help,
then please help the African Campaign for World Democracy if
you have funds, else spread the message.

it is obvious that in this age od overload of information, a
simple clear message needs to be broadcast.  World Democracy
is short and pregnant enough to do the job.  We do not claim
to have invented it, only to have maybe done a better job of
promoting it, in a broad-based way.    Then of course, WD
needs to be explained and debated.  Just like any other
concept.   But at least, it could unite us all and be at the
same time a bridge to others.

=====
Troy Davis, President
World Citizen Foundation/Fondation des Citoyens du Monde
Secretary, Global Coalition "World Democracy 2010"
Secrétaire, Coalition "Démocratie Mondiale 2010"