< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Richardson's "World Systems and World Views"

by g kohler

08 November 1999 21:25 UTC

This file was hard to read as it was sent. I took the liberty of retrieving
it and sending it again in this form. GK

>From David Richardson

richardsonofnc@msn.com

November 3, 1999

About World Systems and Worldviews

I first quote Christopher Chase-Dunn's October 28 email
reply to a student's question, "What is world systems theory in
brief":

"There is a perspective that focuses on the whole system of
important interactions: (trade, investments, warfare, and al
liances, communications, cultural contacts, and differences)
including local, regional and inter-regional.  This is a differ
ent emphasis from approaches that see societies as substantially
independent systems of interaction ... one important structural
patter is the core/periphery hierarchy, a feature of the whole
system.  This does not require that everything is determined by
whole-system features or processes."

"substantially independent systems of interaction"  I select
this phrase because it evidently applies to the Spengler, Toyn
bee, Melko models of civilization.  I find that my analyses of
civilizational worldviews are essays on diffusion processes
between civilizations.  My insight comes from the outstanding
work in world systems since 1975, building on Braudel's histori
ography.  It becomes clear in Chase-Dunn, Wilkinson and other
authors' books that diffusion of techniques and attitudes from
one region to another was much greater than earlier historians
realized.  My study of inter-cultural influences, say, between
China and Japan, or China and India, looks constantly to the
inter-cultural borrowings.

"Substantially independent systems of interaction:"  This
pejorative phrase did not occur to me before I read Chase-Dunn's
recent letter.  After learning about world systems analysis, I
now realize that civilizations' worldviews are dependent on each
other.  This contradicts Spengler, Toynbee, and Melko.

Chase-Dunn, to my knowledge, has not described world-sys
tems-constituting relationships beyond what he calls "Information
Exchange Networks" ("IN).  The next step is, presumably, "Cultur
al Exchange Networks, which at best can be inexactly rationalized
in world systems analysis; but much of which is unreducible to
rational expression."  This quotation would be Chase-Dunn's.

I shall call these "Exformational Exchange Networks" [ EX].

I borrow the term "exformational" from Tor Norretranders' *The
User Illusion: Cutting Consciousness down to Size* (Viking, NY,
1968; first publ. in Denmark, 1991).  I now refer to the cerebral
location of worldviews.  A citizen of high culture contains his
worldview within his brain; that is, within his brain's myriad
synapses and relations: of which billions exist.  "Here," Norre
tranders would say, "is the Exformation."
Norretranders documents his study, using Francis Crick's
essays and those of others, to establish the differences.  I was
attracted to his book because he shows why "Exformation" should
be taken seriously.  He does so in many ways.  His discussions of
(1) the experience of the "sublime,"  (2) the feeling of emo
tions, and (3) the automatic protection of consciousness from
being overwhelmed by "Exformation" are a few of many in this big
book.

I like the book because it is thoroughly materialistic; the
empirical method bases conclusions on material events.

Tor Norretranders, however, omits two materials that interest me.
1.  He does not use Jung's (psychological) types of subliminal
intuition.  (These are: subliminal emotions/judgments, subliminal
sensations, and subliminal processes of logical or empirical
reasoning.)  2.  Secondly, he is not interested in civilizational
worldviews.

The following may give you an idea of Norretranders' line of
thought:   "AT & T engineer John Pierce was shocked in the early
1960s when he realized that the capacity of the human conscious
ness was as low as fifty bits a second at most.  As he asked, why
bother, then to transmit TV at millions of bits a second?  an
swer, of course, is that it is not only the consciousness that
watches television.  The consciousness does not perceive very
much of what happens in a TV movie. Nor can it, for the bandwidth
[of consciousness] is far too low." (p.304)

I refer you to the book if you know something of my world
view theory.  Chances are, if you find me lacking, my "fault"
lies in saying that subliminal intuitions are the very substance
of worldviews.  Well, they are.  And, you or I can discover much
of the present-day Western or Global worldview by analyzing
selected unconscious intuitions.  Gothic architecture that so
bored the average medieval person and the international architec
ture that equally bores many intelligent modern persons.  Both

architectures generously express quite understandable symbols:
symbolic import.  And these symbolic generalizations relate to
the most mundane truths, emotions, and values.  I suggest that
symbolic import sinks into the typical (medieval or modern)
citizen's mind through repeated daily encounters.  Gothic mechan
ics relates logically to medieval canon and to Bach's fugal forms
of canon.  Note that those relationships very likely occur only
*subliminally* in many minds.  Frank Lloyd Wright's horizontal
line in his buildings, "the line of human tenure," says Wright,
is equally rich in (quite rational) symbolic import.  The trick
is to discern the symbolic import.  This requires some knowledge
of Japan's, China's, and the West's ideologies, customs, and at
titudes.  Not a few months' researches.

I will say, though, that discovering alien feelings and
emotions cannot transform raw emotions into information.  A
comparatist historian cannot much inform the reader of emotions
and values he does not feel.  This is one way of saying that a
distant society's worldview does not, except minimally, affect
our personal worldview through rational historical discourse.
Great American Abstract Expressionists did not study the meaning
of Fauvist or Cubist works, or the ideology symbolized in Bud
dhist or Japanese abstractions, and then paint masterpieces.  I
say, at the risk of oversimplification:  Japanese architectural
and painterly abstraction conveyed feelings, emotions, and ideas
*subliminally* to Mondrian, Kandinsky, Pollock, Kooning, and
Rothko.

When I say "non-informational cultural exchange networks," I
am excluding "informational" in *Chase-Dunn's* sense of the word;
namely: "as rational *and* conscious."  Certainly, worldviews are
present to the self-consciousness of reflective individuals.
Some can say much about our erstwhile "Western" worldview, and
that of China, India, Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, and Greece.
But our *conscious* emotions, values, sensations, reasonings,
ideas, and sensations are all very limited.  *Subliminally*, we
feel emotions, we reason or form ideas, we sense or imagine, and
we intuit.  These processes immensely exceed our *conscious* emo
tions, feelings, ideas, sensations, and intuitions.  These pro
cesses, as Norretranders puts it, are "exformational."

Norretranders shows that an enormous amount of *subliminal*
information, logical reasoning, emotions, feelings, judgments,
sensations and intuitions *exclude* Chase-Dunn's definition of
(conscious) "information."  Norretranders cites experiments with
the brain cells  of cats.  Scientists can find twenty brain cells
lined up, side by side, which, when fired, give the cat a con
scious sensation.  Simians and humans are too complicated for
such an experiment.  The sensations in human beings, parallel to
the feline process, are examples of what Norretranders calls
"Exformation."  What of the huge amount of fleshly or neurologi
cal non-conscious experiences beneath a conscious act? Norretran
ders sums them up as "exformation."  We experience very small
resulting conscious intuitions at any given moment.

Chase-Dunn excludes from world systems:  culture" as sub
stantially independent systems of interaction."  I also exclude
from *worldviews* "independent systems of interaction."  I avoid
them because creative persons instinctively build worldviews from
external as well as internal influences.  Consider abstraction in
art.  It came to America from Japan.  It came to Japan from
India, via China.  Abstraction in art for members of the artworld
especially appeals to the personal unconscious.  A caveat: you
need to assemble plentiful evidence to understand Japan, India,
and the West's worldviews and their interchanges.  Consider
relativity theory.  Relativities are a central subliminal idea
both of China and the twentieth century West.

I agree that a connoisseurs' *consciousness*, as well as his
personal unconscious, reacts emotively, judgmentally, intuition
ally, rationally, or sensationally to abstract painting.  If my
discussion is not self-evident, I may write unclearly.  Or it may
be that a lot of research is required.  I don't have a published
book setting forth the research and reasonings thereon.  Unpub
lished books.

Chase-Dunn on world systems, "does not require that every
thing is determined by whole-system features or processes."  I
admit that a worldview gives a civilization a "stylistic co
herence," to quote W. H. McNeill.  Do I require "whole system
features or processes?"  Maybe.  But observe:  how many visitors
at the famed Woodstock festival in the sixties would have rest
contented with Stravinsky's orchestration or Perle's twelve-tone
harmony?  Worldviews' aesthetic expressions, in civilized man
kind's present state, let's face it, are somewhat repugnant to a
goodly number of well educated American citizens.  Who under
stands relativity theory, which is deeply expressive of our
worldview?  It seems, therefore, that we are not collectively
"determined by whole [cultural] system features or processes."
Standing firm with fellow sports competition enthusiasts does not
separate an educated citizen from the society's worldview; but,
as I see it, a culture's worldview is not an "whole system fea
ture" unchanged from one person to another.

I have been discussing the nature of what comes after infor
mation exchange networks (Chase-Dunn's "IN").  "Exformation" may
be the wrong nomenclature, including in its reference: world
views.  But worldview probably belongs in the study of a world
system.