< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

world wide wages Database

by g kohler

04 November 1999 14:31 UTC

This is, partly, a request for bibliographic/webographic references and,
partly, an idea for a collaborative project. I am interested in this because
of my interest in world(-)system(s) concerns and because one of the subjects
I am teaching at my college is database design.

>From the viewpoint of labour worldwide, it would be neat to have a
>humungous
database which contains wage rates for any kind of labour for every country,
preferably split for men and women, preferably for extended time periods and
up-to-date. I imagine that some corporations have this kind of information
for their specific sector.

Question 1: Can anyone suggest some available cross-country sources for wage
rates, no matter how small? -- I could start putting that information into a
small embryonic database.
Question 2: Would anyone be interested in a collaborative project to develop
such a database? One would need a "host" -- i.e., a university or labour
union or other organization which would permananetly house such a database
and some funding to hire data collectors and analysts to assure data
quality, security, etc.

I believe such a database, if easy to use and up-to-date, could be an
excellent tool for advancing labour interests worldwide. What do you think?
Who can supply the first million dollars? One would also need a respectable
board of directors for that -- any volunteers?

Gert Kohler
Sheridan College
Oakville, Canada