< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Andre Gunar Frank & Marx

by Elson E. Boles

01 November 1999 16:58 UTC

> One problem with the articulation of modes of production position in
> theories that appeal to Marxian concepts is that Marx himself argued that
> production that occurs in the capitalist world-economy, whether it is
> slave-, peasant-, or wage-labor, is capitalist production insofar as the
> commodities produced are exchanged in the world market. According to
Marx,
> for example, slavery in the US South was not a precapitalist mode of
> production but was capitalist production because the end-results were
> primary commodities destined for British industry. Here Wallerstein's
> thesis accords with Marx's and both appear to follow dialectical logic,
> where the identity of parts is determined by the identity of the whole.

I think this oversimplifies Marx's views.  Certainly he noted that slavery
was necessary for the modern factory.  But he doesn't seem to have argued
that modern slavery is a form of capitalist production.  This is where Marx
did not push the analysis of historical capitalism as far as
world-systemists have.

On the other hand, this was Marx's strength: focusing on factory as the
most advanced form of capitalist accumulation that organizes and transforms
all other forms of capital (e.g. high finance) and production (and the
world economy and world market) around it, and thus stands on its own feet,
unlike earlier sporadic forms (Venice).  However, having not completed his
analysis of this form, he did not get around to examining the totality as a
historical entity.   World-systemists have -- which is their strength.  But
they nonetheless have neglected the historical specificity of forms of
capitalist production (including the mediation of states, struggles, etc.)
and social life as they evolve in mutual transformative relation over the
course of the system.

This is the major the weakness of world-systems analysis as I see it.  For
instance, to collapse the entire communist experience into a matter of
national-developmentalist policies, or into the category of state
enterprises, due to the political structure of the modern world-system, as
IW does, is to flatten historical experience and the evolution of the
system into the overly generalized categories.  It is a brilliant insight,
but one sided.  A violence of abstraction, to borrow from Sayer.  I'w's
work is a starting place for more specific analysis of the history of the
system.

Thus, I'm inclined toward works that recoup critical theory, experience
(E.P. Thompson, et al), specificity, feminism, etc. within world-systems
frameworks.  I think world-systemists need to focus in on the specificities
of social systems -- this one in particular -- rather than even more
general analyses than IW's.

elson