< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: Women in Afghanistan [not a hoax]

by Elson E. Boles

29 October 1999 14:39 UTC

Related to petition that I forwarded to WSN, which is no hoax, the web
sites to visit are:

The Equality Project: http://www.lesbigay.com/equal_rights/pet4.htm (for
the online petition)
The Feminist Majority Foundation Online:
http://www.feminist.org/afghan/petition.html (for a print-out copy of the
petition)

I think these are preferable to the email petition since apparently the
email address has been disconnected because the UN doesn't like too many
complaints.
elson

Elson E. Boles
Assistant Professor, (Historical) Sociology
University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma
(405) 574-1243
facbolese@usao.edu

On Tuesday, October 26, 1999 8:55 PM, Gabrielle Kuiper
[SMTP:Gabrielle.Kuiper@uts.edu.au] wrote:
> RE: Women in Afghanistan
>
> Oh no, not again!
>
> Please DON'T forward this petition!!!
>
> Let me explain,
> 1) these type of email petitions end up being a kind of email virus which
> wastes peoples time and is not effective.
> 2) I only forward these type of emails in exceptional circumstances and
> when they include a date, a website (where you can check the details and
> legitimacy of the campaign) and the name of an official organisation (as
in
> the case of the UN 50th anniversary of Human Rights web-based petition).
> 3) I have had this particular petition in several different forms about a
> dozen times over the last 6 months, it is a hoax (although there are real
> and serious issues about women's rights in Afghanistan) and the original
> email address at the bottom of the message has been disconnected because
it
> was flooded (this happened months ago). It is now likely to have flooded
> the UN's server - not very productive!
> 4) if you a curious as to the legitimacy of this type of email, just
don't
> forward it - or search the web - there are several pages detailing these
> type of hoaxes and misguided emails.
> 5) to really make a difference and find out about the issues, join
Amnesty