< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Andre Gundar Frank

by George Pennefather

28 October 1999 17:57 UTC

I have been reading one of Andre Gundar Frank's books on Chile etc. Although his thesis concerning the metropolis/satellite link is interesting and may be of value in developing an understanding of developments in South America and elsewhere it entirely omits the concepts used by Marx in Capital. The value category, as I read through it, does not play any central role in the work.

I am particularly interested in the way it leaves out the equalisation of the rate of profit and the law of the tendency of the rate of profit to fall. It also seems to suggest that the accumulation of capital in the metropolis is a product of surplus being extracted from the periphery or the satellites by means other than those of the valorisation process. Surely it is the latter form of exploitation that is the central feature of exploitation under capitalism.

Will someone enlighten me here.

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~beprepared/