< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Fw: Social Stratification

by Spectors

23 October 1999 14:27 UTC

----- Original Message -----
From: Spectors
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 1999 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: Social Stratification

PSTEVENS wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: pstevens
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 1999 5:38 AM

Well I basically agree with you re: the following I have also found that debunking "mainstream" sociology (theory and research) often leads to students leaping to a debunking of social science generally. A sign of the times, perhaps, but nonetheless something that needs to be carefully considered and dealt with.

a reply:

I understand the point and agree about the danger, but it is still necessary to debunk mainstream "junk science" even at the risk of students' becoming skeptical of genuine science (whatever that is....).  If we fight for open-minded, multi-method investigation and rigorous examination -- in other words, if we fight hard for "good science", then, when we critique junk science, our colleagues and students will understand that we are not calling for what I call "folklore", which sounds good, makes people feel good, has a certain "demogogic-posing-as-democratic" appeal, but which can actually be appealing to crude prejudice!

It is parallel to critiquing mainstream politics. We risk building support for Buchanan and the ultra-conservatives when we critique the IMF-Chase Manhattan-mainstream imperialist enterprises, but that just means that we have to work harder and more meticulously.

Alan Spector