< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Washiington, Turkey and Iraq

by George Pennefather

08 October 1999 19:27 UTC

One of the reasons why Washington hammers away at Iraq is Turkey. Baghdad can exploit  the Kurdish question to undermine the Turkish state --a lynchpin in the NATO gameplan. Since Turkey is such a significant ingredient in America's policy for that region it cannot afford to tolerate the undermining or even weakening of the Turkish state in such a manner as to strengthen Iraq as a regional power --a power that subordinates Istanbul to its interests. As I indicated  in a previous posting the one thing Washington cannot tolerate is the existence of independent powers that do act as compliant agents for American imperialism.

If one independent power succeeds in establishing itself this can create a precedent for the development of other such power thereby increasing challenges to American hegemony. America's foreign policy is a feverish and relentless strategy to keep as many powers as possible subordinate to its interests. Consequently it struggles to divide and rule.

Warm regards
George Pennefather

Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~beprepared/