< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Oromo Appeal

by Thomas Tarfa

06 October 1999 20:58 UTC

Contact Oromo Support Task Force at: orrf@egroups.com
Visit Oromia Online at:  http://www.oromia.org/

Dear Onneters,

Please read the following appeal from Oromos in Ethiopia and act. I
received
the message today  with a request to share it with you all.

Thanks,

Thomas

Oromoo Appeal

Cultural invasion and destruction of Identity

What else left for Oromoos?

Hora lake and its vicinity is the only holly place where there are no
beggers but religious cermony of Oromoo people that takes place annually-by
the famous name of Ireechaa, the thanks giving day.
Since 1880's black colonizers (Abyssinians) waged campaign against Oromoo,
Oromoo culture, religion and traditions forcefully banning ritual and
religious ceremonies and closed down holly places like Haroo Hora or lake
Hora.
In the same token, they banned Oromoo religion "Waaqeffanaa" and forced
Oromoos to accept Orthodox Christianity and, those who resisted the
orthodox Christianity went to Islamic religion.

Besides annihilating intellectuals and conscious Oromoo groups, the
abyssinians are systematically destroying Oromoo cultural heritages and
traditions. The abyssinian government is now busy to sell Oromoo's valuable
assets (land, precious stones, hills, valley, fertile lands etc) by
dislocating the Oromoos. Cultural heritage places such as Haroo
Arsadii/Hora, (one of the few spiritual and holly places escaped the
abolishing campaign of the habasha's in the past) is also recently sold to
the rich man by the name of investment. Midroc Ethiopia, owned by Sheik
Mohammed al-Amudin is the company that bought the Oromoo holly places with
out considering the consequences that may result. The company bought the
Hora lake area and its vicinity to build a hotel beach/resort by uprooting
and destroying the big Odaa trees under which the Oromoos gather for
sacramental ceremonies that were taking place for many centuries. The
conceptual design of the resort/hotel affirms that Axum obelisk, queen
Sheba and King Solomon legendary monuments would replace the sacramental
place of Ireecha. (Necessary documents are in our hands).
It is against this back ground that the concerned Oromoos are stood up to
ask the international community to under stand and appreciate the
resistance of the Oromoos against the move of the Tigrians in the
destruction of their identity.
The abyssinia government is always advocating Ethiopian superiority over
other nations and nationalities, where as Ethiopia means actually the
abyssinia culture and tradition, while a liability to all conquered
nations, is masked. In an African Watch report, it was clearly stated that,
to be a "genuine" Ethiopian you have to follow Orthodox christanity and
have Amhara or Tigre names. In short to be an Ethiopian you will have to
wear an Amhara or Tigre mask. Oromoos were and are subjected to such empty
superior mentality and destruction of cultural heritage and traditional
invasion of the habashas. This may not be a big deal when compared to the
regular harassment, torture, imprisonment and rape, and, Oromiyaa is a
common place for such activities by the habashas and their henchmen. Being
an Oromoo in itself is crime enough to be put in jail or to be killed under
Habashas repression rule.  It is not today that we became the target of
cultural heritage destruction and replacement, the tragedy started when the
Oromoos lost their independence to Minilik and Haile Selassie who were
unsuccessfully tried to Amharanize and Orthodoxize the Oromoos. The
repression in all aspect has continued from the early Amhara colonizers to
the present Tigree colonizers. The systematic identity destruction of both
colonizers is the same, their intention is to destroy you beyond
recognition of yourself, through abolishment of cultural heritage,
traditions and ritual Oromoo ceremonies.
The Oromoo profess different religions out of which Waaqeffanaa is a
traditional and common religion practiced by many Orommos till today. This
was the original religion of the Oromoos before the invasion of the
colonizers--the abyssinians. This religion was suppressed for one century
in the same way that the Gada system was silenced and replaced by Orthodox
Christianity and uncivilized ruling system. The selling of the holly places
of Hora to investor is nothing, but  the continuation of the cruel ruling
system of the abyssinians.
In the conceptual design of the hotel resort, the natural beauty of Hora
area will be replaced by architectural landscaping of the lake to attract
tourists. This certainly will be done by destroying, not only the holy
place and Odaa trees but also the complex ecosystem of the area, which was
intact for many centuries will be disrupted. The lake area is rich in both
animal and plant life. Since it is a holly and sacred place, no one is
daring to cut trees or kill wild animals or birds. This is the place where
an important Oromoo tradition exists. The Ireechaa is celebrated by
countless Oromoos coming from every where in Oromiyaa and else where at
this place, on Oromoo maskal day in September every year for thanks giving
for their Waaqaa (God). The place is located in the centre  of Oromiyaa
near Bishooftuu town, 45 km away from Finfinnee. Now this holly place and
natural beauty is in the verge of disappearance. "Midroc Ethiopia" has now
dedicated the area to hotel and abyssinian traditions such as erection of
Axum monuments from Tigray, establishing legendary King Solomon's mining
and Queen Sheba's market center. King Solomon and Queen Sheba, both were
the legendary rulers of the abyssinians. The tradition of the indigenous
people (Oromoo) is as usual neglected and replaced by fictitious stones and
legendary rulers' monuments. The investor, Sheik M. al Amudin should
rethink strategically that he is colliding with the Oromoo people, their
identity and their interests. al Amudin started the destruction of Oromiyaa
few years ago when he started buying up Oromoo resources from the Tigrian
rulers. He is now looting the gold resources in Laga Dambii in Boranaa, the
marble stone in both Wallaggaa and Harargee by the name of investment. The
big machines of this "investor" has damaged the roads used by the Oromoos
for the last half a century making the Oromoo people unreachable to
hospitals and markets. He did all the damages to Oromoo people, the damages
that Oromoos will never forget. He is establishing big hospitals, big
factories etc in Tigray and other regions, but did nothing in Oromiyaa
except exploiting the natural resources and damaging the existing
infrastructures. The establishment of Hora Lake Hotel and resort is part of
the evil action of exploitation of natural resources and destruction of
Oromoo cultural heritage and tradition by  his company.

The very existences of the Oromoo traditions (Gadaa, Ireechaa etc) have
fallen under question unless the evil action of the Tigrians is strongly
resisted. We know that all type of actions against Oromoos have revealed
the design of the Tigrian ruling class to maintain and keep the Tigre
Empire in the so-called Ethiopia through repression and identity
destruction.
We call up on the international community to assist our struggle against
the evil action of the Tigrians and the investor. This is a time when
Tigrian rulers and their henchmen are trying desperately to discredit
Oromoos and their very existence. We know where the solution lies.
Struggling for self-determination is a solution,  we must be able to decide
upon our fate. Despite of the destructive actions waged against Oromoos and
their cultural heritages and natural resources, the Oromoos are well on
their way of achieving their right to self-determination.
Nowadays, the ruling abyssinian group is busy in fund raising and creation
of committee to conserve the cultures and traditions of the abyssinians
while speeding up the destruction of traditions of the non-abyssinians.
Nowadays, Oromoos are even denied the right of carrying their traditional
walking sticks. The TPLF people considered the walking stick of the Oromoo
as weapon and Oromoos are not free to celebrate their ritual ceremonies
with walking sticks in their hands, which was a norm in Oromoo tradition.
The hundreds and thousands of Oromoos who are concerned about the
conservation of their cultural heritage are calling up on the international
community, international human right organizations, UNCED, and etc to stand
up by our side to save our cultural heritage and tradition, which is now in
danger by the cruel action of TPLF move, the new abyssinia rulers.
Lake Hora and its vicinity  constitute the last and most important holly
place left for the Oromoos. The lake, the forests and Odaa trees and the
celebration of Ireechaa under these Odaa trees signify, Oromoo idenity. If
this holly place is invaded and replaced by abyssinian legendary symbols
and monuments, what else left for the Oromoos?
We hope you appreciate our aspirations in an effort to conserve our
cultural heritage and identity. This is a concern of present and future
generation of  Oromoos; since its is a human rights issue it is also of
global concern. The disaster which can result from this irresponsible
action certainly will be far reaching. This move of the Tigrians is against
the UNCED Agenda 21, the international convention which gives the highest
priority for the conservation and protection of forests of unique cultural,
spiritual, historical and religious importance.
Please stand up by our side and make your voice to be heard by the world
community to save our cultural heritage, identity and environment.
This is the appeal voice of hundreds of thousands of Oromoo elders, women,
youth, children and scholars from all corners of Oromiyaa. Please stand by
our side and say stop!  to the destruction and replacement of Oromoo
cultural heritage and tradition. Tell loudly the cruel rulers and investor
(Sheik M.  Alamudin) to stop their destruction of  Oromo  heritage and
identity.

Yours truly,

The Oromoos