< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Fw: Furtther observation and questions about the FORBES 400

by RANDALL BURTON

28 September 1999 21:58 UTC

While "rober baron" is a handy label for the financial elite, there appears
to be a more pressing question:  What do these people contribute and/or
detract from the globalizing  world system?

This is a multi-dimensional question that regards economic and social
benefits or harm of their activities, not so much in the framework of the
short-term capitalists pragmatics, but rather in the sustainable altruistic
long-term outcomes.  Another way to ask is:  How fit are these people to be
super-wealthy in terms of the larger social good?

Possibly it is being done already, but I think it would be of value to
publish a response to the various Forbes listings that document the harm
and/or good of this elite club that controls so much wealth and thus social
process.  While the assumption might be that the "rober barons" can only
create bad social outcomes, I think it would be edifying understand the deep
structure systemic implications, which are likely to reveal more mixed
findings.

Further, I think the Forbes organization and the NY Times should be publicly
flogged for the annual propaganda exercise of uncritically listing these
groups; as it is really an act of social status quo conditioning to "just
accept some people are super rich for whatever reason (off late the
explanations are genetic)."  The mere listing, without an outcome analysis
is journalistically irresponsible and lazy.

Finally, the article stated that a significant percentage of the list did
not have college education.  What are the implications of this?  Ignorance
and narrow knowledge are two of the civilization's oldest problems.
Further, it is predictable that many of the techno-barons have education
that is largely irrelevant to their careers.  What are the implications, for
example, when a non-science degree CEO operates a  high-polluting or
bio-tech business in the developing world?

The favor of your replies is greatly appreciated.

Long live I.F. Stone, who knew the devil was in the details.

Randall Burton