< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Technomania...and Shameless Book Announcement

by wwagar

03 September 1999 20:05 UTC

	In re the posting on David Noble's excellent book, Howard P. Segal
of the University of Maine has devoted much of his career to studying the
ideological roots of technomania in the United States.  See in particular
his TECHNOLOGICAL UTOPIANISM IN AMERICAN CULTURE (University of Chicago
Press, 1985).

	One other matter.  As I mentioned in this space several months
ago, the Third Edition of my A SHORT HISTORY OF THE FUTURE is appearing
this year from the University of Chicago Press.  It has in fact now
appeared (available in paperback only), ISBN 0-226-86903-2.  It lists for
$19.00.  Despite the word "SHORT" in the title, it's xviii + 324 pp. in
length.  Here you will find a narrative global history of the next 200
years, grounded to some considerable extent in world-systems theory, with
an Afterword by Immanuel Wallerstein.