< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

Re: Joule and Carnot are either laughing or turning in their graves

by M A Jones

25 August 1999 11:41 UTC

I'd given up participating in these discussions for the kinds of reasons
Nuno gives: they are entropic by themselves and generate much low-quality
heat and very little light.

Nevertheless, I can't resist a comment on Nuno's somewhat hubristic
departing raspberry. First of all, to my certain knowledge Jay Hanson and
probably most other discussants here, do have at least the Ladybird Book of
Thermodynamics grasp of the matter which Nuno patronises us with. Most of us
are aware that earth receives solar fluxes and is not in that sense a closed
system. We are also mostly aware that there is a lot of underutilised energy
in sunlight. We have all heard the mantras of techno-utopianists, that oil
is easily substitutable a la neoclassical thinking and that we'll move
smartly along to fully sustainable fusion or sunlight-driven futures once
the price is right. We have, of course, been hearing about fusion and
unlimited hydrogen all of our lives. I remember reading about the British
variant, 'Zeta', in the Manchester Guardian in 1956. I was eight years old.
I became quite excited by the idea that there is enough energy to provide
electric power for Britain, in one bucket of seawater. I had just come back
from holiday at Blackpool where I spent two weeks mucking about with buckets
on the beach, so I definitely grasped this. That same year, we were told by
the Government to play indoors and not to drink milk because of a leak of
radiation into the atmosphere from Windscale, which is just up the road from
Blackpool. Since then (or so the Guardian somewhat mournfully told us only
this week) the British taxpayer, goaded on by the likes of Nuno, has forked
out fifty billion pounds (about eighty bn US dollars) and littered many of
said coastal resorts with ghastly and highly polluting reactors, without
however managing to ignite a single light bulb from said bucket of seawater,
not in my house anyway. So much for fusion. Incidentally, Jay is one of the
people who drew to our attention the fact that this vast and entirely
wasted, unnecessary and incredibly dangerous investment, represents a
cross-subsidy from (scarce but temporarily cheap) fossil fuels, which were
used to provide the energy investment in nuclear power. And the sad fact is
that, even if they'd succeeded, and the world was now covered with fusion
generating stations, and nuclear power was not historically a net drain on
precious fossil fuels but a genuine addtion to global energy budgets: why it
wouldn't help anyway, because the high-entropy waste heat the powerstations
produce would be just as greenhouse-heavy as burning carbon, and the ice
caps would still melt. (Does Nuno believe in global warming? Probably not, I
suppose. You can hold the telescope to the eyes of these techno-utopians,
but they still cannot see that 'it moves'.).

This leaves photovoltaics (and the other latest gee-whiz gizmo from Nasa and
Detroit, fuel cells).

It is possible to say without much fear of contradiction that PV's cannot
replace petroleum under any conceivable technological scenario, no matter
how promising is the gleam in Nuno's eye. The reasons are quite simple,
fundamental and unarguable. It means that, never mind what happens in the
peripheries, Life As We Know It will not be possible in the 'burbs of the
core states either.

Actually, Nuno is a dystopian who foresees a horrifying future after the oil
runs out. He's closer to Hanson than he admits, or probably understands. The
plain fact is that whether you like it or not, we are in for another of
those goddamn paradigm shifts (and we only rose out of the Neolithic
quagmire two and a half centuries ago!). As Cutler and others have shown,
materials and energy flows through modern 'post-industrial' society
continuie to increase (far from declining!), so all the indicators are set
in the wrong direction. And we are already into the oil-shortage scenario,
never mind what happens in 10 years time; it is impossible to explain what
has been happening to the world economy since 1973 unless you identify
energy as a key constraint on growth, one which keeps on reappearing in and
through each new economic crisis; today the oil price has doubled as a
result of nothing more than Asia beginning to crawl out of a slump. The
energy famine is already a fact and one which conditions rivalries and
relations between the three core zones, and which has hobbled a straitjacket
around the world economy which dooms the peripheries (now including Russia,
where a gasoline-famine is now endemic) to precipitous declines; a process
which is bound to affect the cores too, and is already.

Mark Jones