< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

RE: The biological goal of the human mind

by Ricardo Duchesne

24 August 1999 14:33 UTC

> I think of human behavior as a layer of socially idiosyncratic behavior
> superimposed upon a chemical soup of "genetic propensities".  The basic
> drives (sex, aggression, food, power, novelty, etc.) come from the genes,
> but how those drives are acted out depends upon society.

Let's keep this exchange to the minimun and perhaps avoid  the humbug
that has been said already. Alright, Jay, so now you acknowledge that "how
those drives are acted out depends upon society". But are not human
actions/behaviors also a matter of  interpretation in light of  certain social
norms? I mean, you recognize that our personality traits are not mere genetic
"things" that exist apart from their expressions in certain actions,
which raises the question of how we, as members of historically given
communities, evaluate those actions. Does every society
value/interpret aggression in the same way? No, in which case, no
biologist can say what we are outside a social context of norms.