< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

I invite

by Spectors

24 August 1999 01:19 UTC

    I invite members of the WSN to view Mr. Hanson's home page to see all
the psuedo-scientific fiction that frames his outlook.  He is not completely
wrong. There are terrible crises confronting humanity --  from pollution,
from population imbalances, from fascism, war and various other SOCIAL
problems that are the result of a world political-economic system based on
exploitation and putting immediate profits first.  These crises DO HAVE A
BIOLOGICAL IMPACT on the human race. That is not what is at issue. What is
at issue is whether the roots of this fundamental crisis lie in our genes or
in the way that some humans have chosen to oppress others.

    Mr. Hanson presents a seemingly impressive array of scholars, but many
of them are social and political scientists as well as "social
commentators."  That is not dishonest, unless they are pawned off as
biological experts.  Most of the reputable biologists and other scientists
he cites are mainly making general points about the general dangers that
face humankind. But it is a stretch to go from there to implying that those
experts accept Mr. Hansen's theory of the genetic roots of this crisis.

    It reminds me of a student who was arguing that Creationism was a
genuine natural science. I asked him for references. He brought me a book
with hundreds of footnotes. Virtually all of the references were ministers.
There was one reference from a very reputable biologist. However, he was
quoted as saying something like: "Biology is an important science."  True
enough, but not evidence that substantiated the Religious Creationists.

    It must feel so satisfying to know that one can apply a few simple rules
and understand all the complexities of the social world.

Alan S.