< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

special issue on "Globalization"

by David Smith

23 August 1999 21:10 UTC

Sorry to interrupt the discussion of genes and chimps and such (am I alone
in wondering how these recent exchanges relate to WORLD-SYSTEM
processes?), but I thought this might be of interest to some on the list:

GLOBALIZATION AND SOCIAL PROBLEMS

The journal SOCIAL PROBLEMS annouces a special issue on the theme of
"Globalization & Social Problems."

Discussions of "globalization" abound in both the academic literature and
popular discourse.  The term is more frequently invoked than defined.  We
are open to various definitions of, assumptions about, and theoretical
perspectives on "globalization."  Most commentators agree that the world
is quite different today as we head into the new millenium -- we live in a
"smaller world" where technological change has raised the velocity of
exchanges of information, financial instruments, and people between
far-flung places.  The concommitant economic, political, and cultural
change makes it more imperative than ever to develop a truly global
perspective in social research.

For the special issue of SOCIAL PROBLEMS we are seeking papers that
explore both the idea of "the globalization of social problems" and
notions about "social problems of globalization."  Some papers may stress
the ways that social issues traditionally studied at the societal or
national level are better understood in the context of world society;
others might develop specific arguments about the problematic nature of
recent processes and patterns of globalization.  Although previous global
analysis is frequently associated with particular "schools of thought"
about world-systems, world polities and world cultures, we hope to attract
submissions that represent a diversity of theoretical and substantive
concerns including, but not limited to, those addressed in previous SOCIAL
PROBLEMS articles (for example, race, class, gender, social movements,
environmental issues, the media, crime and violence, work/labor, poverty,
population and migration, health and medicine, etc).

Please submit papers to SOCIAL PROBLEMS, David A. Smith, Editor, 3151
Social Science Plaza, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-5100.
For fullest consideration for inclusion in the special issue, authors
should send manuscripts (five single-sided copies) by March 31, 2000 with
a brief note explaining how the work fits into the "Globalization &
Social Problems" theme.